Location of Bank 1 Sensor 1 in 97 Rav4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 04:53 PM
benthegrate

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Location of Bank 1 Sensor 1 in 97 Rav4

Hey, folks! I have to replace the Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen Sensor due to a P0133. I have the new sensor, but I want to make sure I'm replacing the correct one. This is the sensor that's clearly visible in the exhaust manifold on the right side (drivers), correct? It just looks like it's bolted on instead of screwed in, so I was wondering if that was the correct sensor.

My Haynes manual only shows locations for downstream sensors in 2001 and later models, so I'm kinda flying blind.

Here's a pic with the question more clearly:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 05:47 PM
benthegrate

More info...just back from AutoZone and they said that the sensor they sold me, which would only fit in the lower position in the photo above, was listed as the "BEFORE CATALYTIC CONVERTER."

The bolted-on sensor, which I believe is Bank 1 Sensor 1, was listed in their system as "AFTER CATALYTIC CONVERTER."

So now I'm more confused than ever. I know I need to replace Bank 1 Sensor 1, so if anyone can ID it in the pic for me for certain, that would be super!

#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
Bank 1 = theres only one bank on the 3sfe, so that doesnt matter

Sensor 1 = BEFORE cat converter. Sensor 2 is after cat. its the sensor thats IN the exhaust manifold assembly, under the heat shield.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:59 AM
benthegrate

So are you saying that NEITHER of the sensors in the image above is the Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen sensor? Neither of these is located under the heat shield, but the top one is in the exhaust manifold.

Both sensors in the image correspond to the available sensors at the auto parts store, but the store has them "reversed," saying the one that bolts on is AFTER the catalytic converter, and the one that screws in is BEFORE. But in this image, which corresponds to my car, it's the other way around.

#5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthegrate
So are you saying that NEITHER of the sensors in the image above is the Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen sensor? Neither of these is located under the heat shield, but the top one is in the exhaust manifold.

Both sensors in the image correspond to the available sensors at the auto parts store, but the store has them "reversed," saying the one that bolts on is AFTER the catalytic converter, and the one that screws in is BEFORE. But in this image, which corresponds to my car, it's the other way around.
>.< Follow your exhaust out from the engine. Sensor 1 is the FIRST sensor you get to. You cant always believe what an auto parts store like autozone says. those guys really dont have any idea of what they are talking about unless its domestic

as for the picture, thats really not helping me because i cant tell which direction im looking in, if you took it from the bottom or the top.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
R4W Moderator

You stole my picture!

Anyways, that is correct Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one before the catalytic, the one in the exhaust manfiold housing:

#7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
benthegrate

Thanks for the clarification! And for letting me steal your photo. :-)

I was going to go out and take a picture myself, and then I saw that photo and was like...hey, that's exactly what I'm about to take a picture of! Heh heh...

I'm sure this is the one I'm supposed to replace, because it's obviously the first sensor in the line. However, EVERY auto parts place and website I've encountered sells the bolt-on type sensor labeled AFTER CATALYST. See:

I've found this on every parts website I've checked, and AutoZone and O'Reilly also told me the same thing. The sensor with the bolt-on flange is to be used AFTER the catalytic converter. So is my engine just weird to have the type sensor that's supposed to be AFTER the catalytic converter placed before it instead?

If I were to order what this indicates is the before-catalyst sensor, I'd get the screw-in kind that only fits in the position after the catalytic converter on my car. Did you run into this problem, DJ Sueno?

#8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
R4W Moderator

Quote:
If I were to order what this indicates is the before-catalyst sensor, I'd get the screw-in kind that only fits in the position after the catalytic converter on my car. Did you run into this problem, DJ Sueno?
I bought one brand new from Toyota...

But if you are really set on not going through the dealer, you could try http://www.oxygensensors.com/

They should have them:

#9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
benthegrate

Yup...craziness. The site you recommend shows the SAME THING! Pre-cat converters are the screw in type. Post-cat converters are the bolt-on kind with the flange. The pic that you just posted is shown on their site as being a post-cat converter. But on our vehicles, that type of sensor is before the catalytic converter.

I'm as confused as I can be! I went ahead and ordered the sensor with the bolt-on flange, that's listed everywhere as the post-cat sensor, and just see what happens.

#10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Yup...craziness. The site you recommend shows the SAME THING! Pre-cat converters are the screw in type. Post-cat converters are the bolt-on kind with the flange. The pic that you just posted is shown on their site as being a post-cat converter. But on our vehicles, that type of sensor is before the catalytic converter.

I'm as confused as I can be! I went ahead and ordered the sensor with the bolt-on flange, that's listed everywhere as the post-cat sensor, and just see what happens.
that may be true on some vehicles, but its not the same on all.

Case in point: The pre-98 RAV's all had the bolt-in in the #1 spot with the screw in at the #2, while the post-97's (like my 98) all had the bolt in in the #2 spot, and the screw-in in the #1, reversed from the older 4.1's.

The design of the sensor's case doesnt matter, but what kind of sensor and where its placed is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page