Vehicle weight & towing power - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Sabre

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Vehicle weight & towing power

Ooooops. Realised I posted this in the wrong section.
Can anyone tell me the kerbside (tare) weight of a 1997 3dr AWD RAV4?
Also, what is the greatest weight of boat and trailer I could pull up the boat ramp with an angle of, say, around 40 degrees. This would be of short duration in terms of engine/trans heating, about 50 feet.
We make our vehicles work hard out in New Zealand. !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tinmanchris217
according to toyota specs, curb weight for the 4 door is 1,730 kg, so maybe 1,600 ish. ;-)

Tow capacity is about 700 kg, with 70 kg of tongue weight.

Considering our RAV's modest torque rating, and your non-limited slip AWD, I wouldn't expect HUGE inclines to work, but atleast 30 degrees, depending on the loading. Drive SLOW with your differential locked (if possible).

Do you have a manual transmission or auto?
(manual can handle more than 700kg without overheating/stressing, at your own risk)

Aftermarket springs and shocks?
(helps with extra weight sometimes)

Do you have the factory tow hitch or an aftermarket?
(1 1/2" vs 2" shank and Class I, II, or III)
#3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM

I thought that was the 5 door gross weight and curb weight is 1300kg (2850 lbs)

For a short towing distance, I'd bet the car can handle it without hurting anything. The question I'd ask, is will you have enough traction? Might need to add some weight I'm gonna check some numbers and get back in a bit.

Ok, I was a little bored and wondering where my college education went, so I made a spreadsheet that determines how much you can tow depending on incline angle, weights, and friction coefficient. This assumes no acceleration going up the hill, already going at (slow) speed. If someone checks this for me that'd be awesome, apparently I forget basic physics faster than you can shake a stick at.

here's the spreadsheet with my estimate: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...4e75f6e8ebb871
Of course the biggest unknown is the friction coefficient (and possible hill angle), so it could be way off, but you might not be able to tow anything at 40 degrees.

-otterpopjunkie
ram-CAI, IAT pot., scangauge^II, still slow :P
Hella fog lights, Bulldog remote start, 650W pushing 15"
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Sabre

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Mmmmmm. Thanks for that, I had a feeling that the vehicle weight would be around 1,300kg. I will get more data and come back to you. The boat ramp may be only 30 degrees, will have to check. It's generally wet and often a bit slick but a reasonably rough concrete surface. My boat is around 1,200kgs, although weight on the 1 1/2" tow ball is only around 30kgs due to the weight of the outboard motor on the transom. As far as I know I don't have the ability to apply diff lock - it's an auto trans. Would lock it in low for a straight even steady pull up onto the flat sealed carpark so duration of tow under load is only about 10 seconds. Main problem would be enough torque in the trans to start rolling and traction would be the biggest factor. Tow bar has yet to be fitted and would be well attached. I have really good clearance under the rear guards as it appears to have been retro fitted with aftermarket shocks, not sure about the springs. New Zealand towing laws don't include Japan's recommended towing weights etc. due to the high number of vehicles towing way in excess of Japans very modest calculations.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to tinmanchris217
My mistake, a couple other sources agree that the RAV is 2800 lbs, or about 1300 kg. Googling is hit-and-miss, many apologies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page