Rattle? [heat shield?] - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM
missing_eric

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broseph
hi there, . . . (newb here)
my rav4 rattles too!!

after some exploring i descovered a rusted heat shield just under the exauhst valves. Tied it up with some wire clips. i did away with one rattle only to descover another. lol. the second rattle is slightly more worrying. (only when engine is cold) if i push the plastic cover over the timing belt an whatever else is under there, the rattle seems to goes away? any ideas please

thanks
Those heat sheilds are a pain. I did the same as you on my 96(over 200,000) and still goin. Also had a rattle and that was coming from a mudflap screw. Drove us crazy till we found it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't get incredibly complicated diagnosing this, here are some suggestions from the simplest/easiest:

1. Heat shields on exhaust pipes.... Just remove them, you'll avoid future headaches

2. Something else loose: walk around the car tapping panels with your hand, do the same under the car, tap stuff with your fist, shake stuff like the exhaust pipe

A. ---> Rattling at a specific rpm is usually something loose resonating, not an engine or transmission issue

B. Rattling on a high mileage RAV4 is usually the valves tapping. The colder the engine is the louder it gets and the more it will go away as it warms up. Not a big deal, just learn to live with it

Kurt

Bored throttle body, Ram Air Intake, 2.5" dia. exhaust, DynoMax muffler, Thrush resonator, 9005 low beams... + more
#13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
^^ nice info man thank you. I believe you have hit the nail on the head, as my engine does "rattle" when cold (90k miles), and also rattles at around 2k rpm, and I'm relieved that its probabaly just a lousy heat shield. there's another more recent thread by another member about this and all roads point to heat shields
#14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
If you live somewhere that gets very hot, like the Southwest, you may want to keep the heat shields, but replace the clamps. That's what I did and the rattling stopped. The clamps had rusted out and no longer held the shields in place. I cut them off and just used some cheap, metal hose clamps from Kragen. No problems yet.

'96, 4 dr, AWD, auto tranny, green, OME lift kit, '98-'00 headlights, taillights & cupholders (), insulation upgrade, clear front markers, sunroof, tint
#15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM

Rattle fixed

Thanks for all the help folks,

It was the water pump making all the noise, got it changed along with the timing belt,
engine sound smooth and healthy now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page