'98 RAV4 Radio/CD Player - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
'98 RAV4 Radio/CD Player

More questions on the '98 RAV4 we bought. It has a AM/FM/Cassette/CD player. We can't find the slot for the CD. Is there a chance a multi-CD changer would have been an option? We took the radio bezel off, no slot for the CD. It does have the cassette slot, and of course the "CD" button.

According to the operator's manual, it is a "Type 1" style radio. The manual just tells you how to insert/eject the CD and such, but nothing about where the CD goes.

Thanks for your help,
Jaaydee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Have you tried removing the front cover of the radio already (usually can be fairly easily gotten off, no force needed nor screwdriver).
Perhaps it is possible to insert the CD when the front cover folds forwards in some way? I have at least seen radio's with that option.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 AM

Cd changer will either be under the radio in front of the shifter above the ashtray or under the passenger seat
#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM

(Thread Starter)
I checked under both seats and in the storage boxes in the back. Under the radio is a storage space, no CD changer.

I suppose someone took it out? Would it have come with the radio? I imagine it was an option?

Thanks,
Jaaydee
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM

yes the cd player was an option, if you had an L model pretty good chance you would have had it for sure as it was stock other models had the option to add it. either a single cd or a five cd player
#6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 AM

mine is exactly as described by jaaydee and I definitely don't have a cd slot or changer! and it's a GX.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to tinmanchris217
2 CD player options existed for the RAV (to my knowledge):

- Cassette player + radio in the upper unit, with a separate dash-mounted CD player (front, slot loading). It's located 3" below the cassette player, and can be replaced with a cubby hole.

- Cassette player + radio in the upper unit, with a remote CD changer (under the passenger seat).

If you do not have either of these, your unit it either aftermarket (CD changer in the trunk, many times)... or the person who sold you the car lied.

You can see the cubby hole in this picture... that's where the CD player should be, if it's the in-dash type. Does your cassette+radio look like this??

Suspension: H&R (3" drop), Koni adjustables, Addco sway bar
Brakes: Brembo, Akebono, Techna-Fit
Engine: AEM Dryflow, Magnaflow, NGK wires/plugs
Audio: Dayton 7" woofs, 2" mids, Vifa XT25 tweets + Pioneer 10" subs
#8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
I'm guessing this RAV didn't come with the CD player. I have checked under the seats and in the cubby hole in the back. Unless it's somewhere else in the back, it probably is the base model without the CD player.

Which brings me to the next step - what are the best options for a low cost add on CD player. Ease of installation would be best. Financially attractive, (read - cheap), will be a factor. I would imagine an aftermarket radio from Best Buy is the best choice?

Thanks,
Jaaydee
#9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 PM

nooooo avoid best buy at all costs all their car audio stuff is extremely overpriced, id suggest going online the saving really are worth it, amazon.com ususally has good deals in car stereos and also crutchfield
#10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to tinmanchris217
Best buy will do a fine job, and to an extent you can get a good deal if you catch a sale.... but installing a new headunit on this car is really easy, if you're up for a little DIY.

All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver, a wire crimper, and 1 hour.

1) On the flat plastic just under your radio, there are 2 screws (vertical).
2) Remove them and pop the gray panel from around the radio.
3) Surrounding the radio, there are 4 screws that hold the radio bracket in. Unscrew them and slide out the radio. You will need to slide out the antenna wire and the clip-in wiring harness.
4) Unscrew the bracket "L" pieces from the radio and install them on the new radio (without using the metal cage).
5) Using 12 electrical butt connectors or small wire nuts... create a wiring harness adapter. You'll need the Toyota harness (included with Crutchfield purchases). Wiring diagrams are available at http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.asp. The wiring for your new headunit will be included in the manual or install sheet.
6) Clip in the wiring harness adapter, along with the antenna wire. Slide the new unit into place.
7) Screw in the brackets and big gray trim panel.

That's it! As mentioned above, you'll just need a Toyota radio wiring harness and a new headunit. As Ecuador mentioned, Crutchfield is usually a great value, since you get all adapters and instructions included.

I'd highly recommend Pioneer and Clarion. Their budget headunits have nice radios and tend to be the most reliable.

Suspension: H&R (3" drop), Koni adjustables, Addco sway bar
Brakes: Brembo, Akebono, Techna-Fit
Engine: AEM Dryflow, Magnaflow, NGK wires/plugs
Audio: Dayton 7" woofs, 2" mids, Vifa XT25 tweets + Pioneer 10" subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page