Folding rear seat dilemma - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Folding rear seat dilemma

Hi guys,

I have a 96 Model 2 door RAV and I can't for the life of me work out how to fold the back rests flat against the seat so I can stow the back seats for more storage space.

Nothing I do seems to work and I can't feel and levers or anything that would flip them forward. The only thing I found was the pull tab which is useless if the back rests can't be laid flat.

Its seriously driving me nuts - HEEELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM

It might be more helpful if you posted your concern to the section dedicated to your generation RAV4. In your case it is 4.1 as it is the first generation RAV4. This is the 4.3 (3rd generation) section.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
#3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
At the front (of the back, at the outer side) you find the cord to pull the lever for the backseats to go flat, at the bottom (at the back, around the middle of the car) you find the cord to pull to make them fold.
See picture below.
Greetz

Pim

For the right hand back seat, this is the way, the left hand back seat is the other way around.

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
At the front (of the back, at the outer side) you find the cord to pull the lever for the backseats to go flat, at the bottom (at the back, around the middle of the car) you find the cord to pull to make them fold.
See picture below.
Greetz

Pim

For the right hand back seat, this is the way, the left hand back seat is the other way around.

Thank you SO SO MUCH for this information Pim. Looks like I'll have to take the car seat covers off. Greatly appreciated. Have a great day.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
Good luck trying that. It will be very hard to get them back on after 10+ years of being in that position. Likely replacement of the seats will be your next step. (Notice, those seats are VERY expensive, even second hand they go for several hundreds of dollar)

I have not found anyone taking off the seat cover of a worn over 10 years old rear seat and get it to fit back on properly. But i love to know if you have pulled it off.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page