How Common Is Center Diff Lock? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
How Common Is Center Diff Lock?

New to the forums, thanks in advance for any help! I've never been a big fan of automatic transmissions, I much prefer manuals. I recently bought a '97 RAV4 AWD that has the center differential lock button on the dash above the radio. In my search for a good used RAV4 I looked at about 9 of them, only 5 of which were manual and one of those was a 2WD. Of the 4 I looked at with a 5spd, only 2 had the locking diff button. I'm in the PNW of the US, so I'm assuming if that was an option a lot of people here would have got it. Anyway, I've heard some people say that all 4WD RAV4's with a manual have the locking center differential, and then I've heard some people say that they're not the common--anyone know the correct answer? Thanks! NP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 AM

Hi,

Bought a 4.1 - a few quick questions...Centre Differential

This was the same question I asked some time ago...Hope the thread answers some of your queries...You will LOVE your new/old 4.1. Enjoy!

2000 Rav4 (4.1)
#3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The RAV4 mark 1 has four options
Automatic transmission + 4WD (all wheels continuously) - Differential lock is done automatic when needed (very seldom, only on very slippery conditions)
Automatic transmission + 2WD (front wheel driven)- No differential lock present. The rear tyres are not driven and so no transfer is needed. The centre differentials only aim is to provide driving power to the rear tyres. With no transfer present no lock is present either.
Manual transmission + 4WD - Differential lock with a button is present (always). You will need it very seldom.
Manual transmission + 2WD (front wheel driven) - No differential lock is present because there is no transfer from driving power to the rear, and thus no lock either.

Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,172 Times in 847 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
PIM, don't forget the limited slip differential. The LSD is a rare option, but there are some out there.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
Erm, James, i think the options are clear. It's not that the LSD is an entire different option. Even tough it exists for the centre differential too, it merely works like the automatic does, only in a slightly different (and presumably more effective) way.

You are right tough that it might be an option worth mentioning. It is THAT rare tough that i would think a seller will write it major letters on it. It is worth a few bucks extra too (Toyota has quite a steep price for it).
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM

I saw one with LSD on craigslist out in California recently.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
So basically if a 5spd manual RAV4 does not have the center differential lock button, then it's not 4WD but 2WD?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
Yep.
Or it has a center LSD. But i am fairly sure the seller would want to mention that since it is added value.

(LSD can also be front and back differentials, which are more common. The center differential being LSD is extremely rare.
Greetz

Pim

#9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Yep.
Or it has a center LSD. But i am fairly sure the seller would want to mention that since it is added value.

(LSD can also be front and back differentials, which are more common. The center differential being LSD is extremely rare.
Greetz

Pim
Ok, so just to clarify and make sure I understand this:

If a 4.1 RAV4 manual transmission has AWD (verified by a rear driveshaft) and, it does not have a center differential lock button on the dash, then that means it must have LSD--either front and rear, front or rear, or center LSD.

Is that correct?
#10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
If it does not have a centre differential lock button, then there is something odd there.
It has to have a limited slip differential in the centre if it doesn't have that button, but since Toyota did place the centre diff lock on the RAV4 standard for the manual, you can safely ask where the button has gone if you are sure that it's indeed 4WD. Because it should have that button, even if it had limited slip differential installed (afterwards). That did cost around 2000 dollar to add as option, so is very rare.

The RAV4 also has continuous 4WD unlike some other brands, which have on demand or other systems.
Greetz

Pim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page