new profiler, some issues, some changes - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Mark. I do have a local salvage yard and ill keep watching their page for a fresh rav4 to pull from. it doesn't seem to be as big of a problem as the transmission leaking. still not able to source it. and highlander if you check out the other pictures you can see its really an illusion. I just had some left over hose length and left it hanging a little low. I'm still looking for a diagram of some sort for the transmission and the hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. The transmission fluid is leaking into the antifreeze by a hole in the auto transmission cooler that is inside the bottom of the radiator. That is why the antifreeze is turning pink. I bet the level of "pink" antifreeze is getting higher to. To fix this you have two options. 1. Replace radiator. 2. Install an aux transmission cooler in place of the one in the radiator. This is a serious problem because not only is transmission fluid leaking into the antifreeze, antifreeze could be leaking into the transmission.

Good luck. It is good to hear about someone wanting to fix it themselves. There are a lot of people here to help just ask.
Mark
#13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have noted the urgency of this and called the salvage yard, turns out its my lucky day, their having a sale on radiators for $24.99 and they have a rav4. My girlfriend and are are going in the morning. (I'm so glad I have her cause she loves to tear things apart and take notes) I can't wait to do this, I'll also have her take pics for the site. if there are any crucial notes I need before doing this please let me know, I'll check this forum tomorrow eve before replacing it in our car. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all the feedback I've been getting!
#14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM

I am happy that you found a replacement. Do not remove or loosen the lines on the AC cooler in front of the radiator. I think that you can get the radiator out without removing the AC stuff.

Remember to change both the antifreeze and the transmission fluid after your repair. Hopefully, this will fix the other problems with the transmission because antifreeze in the transmission is not good.

There is a good repair manual on this site that may help with your repair. I don't know if you know where it is at. I have used it many times to help repair my RAV4. Here is a link: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B61gpLoGBEPNcFlmSTI3aUFhYWM/edit?pli=1&docId=0B61gpLoGBEPNazBwdGNFMFh4c3c

A member named Pim has a link on his profile page of a manual also.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Mark

Last edited by Marko59; 01-14-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added link
#15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
i don't see it possible to do it without removing the ac cooler... can i remove it and get it back on, buy that acpro stuff at auto parts and re fill it myself?
#16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM

The only problem with removing the AC cooler or condenser is that the system needs to be hooked up to a AC vacuum pump when it is put back together. This is to remove air and moisture in the system. If the system is open for any length of time the AC dryer canister needs to be replaced. O-rings at the fittings, that you removed, should be replaced otherwise they may leak. Plus the cost of the R134a and oil (if needed) when you refill it. It can get expensive. It is not as easy as adding a can of R134a.

I have never removed a radiator from a RAV4, but I have removed radiators from many vehicles and tractors without removing the AC condenser. I would first try to remove the radiator without removing the AC condenser. Check this post, they were able to do it.

Radiator replacement - Question on AC condenser

Good luck.
Mark
#17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well after a long night I ended up taking off the ac cooler, the bolt ended up snapping during a time of take it off or not take it off. I was actually in the process of tightening the bolt back down after loosening it to hear it hiss. so now I've got it all back in, I just have to get a replacement bolt for that one that snapped on me and a clamp for one of the hoses. Its winter now.. can I drive my car and take care of the ac cooler later? Approximately how much will getting my ac system put back together? Which garage should I go to to do this (a big name garage like Monroe or a local shop)?
#18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
just found out that autozone has an ac vacuum pump on their loan a tool program for about $200 with a full refund. tomorrow I'll call some garages an see what they'd charge and if it sounds too pricey I'll be renting the vacuum, getting the gauge, hose, and oil fer it and do it myself. This is just the for the AC though and with it being winter it is okay to drive the car still right? I have to order a radiator, I couldn't repair mine by installing a lower rail like I attempted. :X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page