coil pack vs dist engines - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
coil pack vs dist engines

So I have been in search of a dist eng for a 97, all that seems to be available locally is the later coil pack engines, I have read about the JDM engines being coil pack type and that they seem to be easy to convert to the distributor type I have, does this hold true for the US versions also. When I look at the coil pack engine, it has a bracket that bolts to the head and supports the intake plenum and covers the portion of the head that might or might not have the plug where the distributor would go, and if it does then the intake plenum would also need to be changed to the one off my engine, does this sound correct? If so what else needs to be swaped out? Mine is a 97 and the engine in question is a 98. A local Toyota dealer mechanic I talked with said there is also a gear or pulley on the end of the cam that requires changing also and by the time you swap and change everythig over that it becomes cost prohibitive and just keep looking for a distributor engine. Anybody done this swap on a US engine and what all did it entail? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy I need the same help

Mitch did you ever figure this out? I have a 1997 Rav4 with no engine and coil pack sitting on the floor ready to go. Just not sure on the conversion procedure and challenges. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my wife is nor very happy with my decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page