Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - How does RAV4 4WD work?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 AM
rav4two
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two
Here's something on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km94vXZXgHs
Hm... not bad performance in what appears to be about 4"-6" of snow, not counting the drifts in the parking lot.

I certainly won't be intentionally turning donuts or plowing into snowdrifts like that, but I may have to drive through an unplowed lot once in a while.
The caption for that vehicle says "14 inches fresh snow". It doesn't seem quite that much, but there were definitely areas of more than 6 inches. In any event, snow performance is predominantly dictated by tires. AWD helps get you moving, but is of only moderate help in turning and little help in braking. Still, I have pretty good confidence the Rav is going to be good for exactly the conditions you described, which is basically what we get where I live.

We had one big snow event in the Seattle area the winter before last and with one FWD vehicle and one RWD vehicle, we spent hours just going a few miles, having to chain and de-chain a couple of times each way. Because of that, we purchased the Rav right before this winter, which of course everyone said would guaranteed us a snow-free winter (which is exactly what we had).
The Following User Says Thank You to rav4two For This Useful Post:
kyoo (01-13-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome