Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Adding keyless entry to a 4.1 w/OEM power locks?

10K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  LugNut 
#1 ·
It is looking as if I will become the primary driver of our RAV-4. One thing that bugs me, vs. my current Toyota daily driver, is that this 2000 4.1 L Special Edition does not have keyless locks (for relative noobs, we had a second 2000 that had the dealer-installed Gulf States alarm/keyless entry -- sold it years ago). Our "last" 4.1 does have factory power locks though. Adding an alarm too would be nice, but not necessary.

Doing some searching here and elsewhere I see bits of info. Generic kits look as if a lot of wire splicing is needed. Are there any (near) "plug-n-play" solutions that aren't too costly? :confused:

#2 ·
I put a Bulldog keyless entry in my RAV. I do not know of a "plug-n-play" type of system but Bulldog has a good website and instructions for most vehicles. Of course if you put in only a keyless entry without alarm or start it will be less wire splicing. If you are not willing to do it yourself be sure to check into a mechanic adding one. Mark

#4 ·
Try the pick and pulls.
In my 99 I have a VIP RS 3000 security system and it appears to be plug and play as all the parts have Toyota part numbers. Seems to be for the 1998-2000 models but may have been used longer.

The ECU sits under the drivers seat, take that and the cable it is attached to and follow it under the dash to unplug all the connections. Take the glass breakage sensor and the status indicator from the dash and follow 2 wires under the hood the beeper and grab that too. The remotes can be purchased from the internet, I got mine from Ikeyless.com.

#5 ·
I bought an entire parts cars to convert my windows, mirrors and locks to power. I then discovered that body harness was completely different, it didn't have any necessary wires! Before you do anything, unplug the body connector to the door and check if you have the necessary wires. If you do, this should be an easy fix, if you do not have those wires, FORGET ABOUT OEM PARTS!

#6 ·
He already said it had OEM power locks and that is all he would need, other than the VIP RS-3000 system.

#8 ·
I installed one of their kits on my Ford and it has done well.

#10 ·
Done!

Installed the kit yesterday including the engine imobilizer. Took much of the workday due to extreme care in identifying and tapping/cutting wires which was nerve-racking.

Works great! Thanks again for the lead.

Now I have new, louder (but not obnoxious) horns on order.

#11 ·
Not so fast ...

Unfortunate update::surprise

The second remote for the Bulldog KE1702 keyless entry died. Replaced the $$ 12V battery, but no difference. Tried the instruction's reboot procedures, including unplugging the box, but still no-go. Getting a bit of the ol' run-around from the company (A2-C) on getting a replacement.

#15 ·
So is there only aftermarket options then? There wasn’t an OEM keyless entry option for the 1st gen Rav4? I also have power door locks and I can’t imagine it’s very difficult to add from the factory perspective considering all the remote does is send a signal to turn it on

#16 ·
If you have the RS-3000 box under the driver seat, then all you would need is to buy the remote fob.
Take a look and see if you have the box. The year and version of your Rav4 would also help in answering your question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.