Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Install double din radio, gauges, 12v power point, usb power point

18K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  eodgator 
#1 · (Edited)
Installed double din radio, gauges, 12v power point, usb power point

Just finished installing a PIONEER AVH-X5800BHS 7" DVD Receiver and Sirius/XM SXV300v1 (amazon.com). The receiver is double din and I mounted it in the lower double din space (where the CD player and cigarette lighter was installed). Had to make some mods to the bezel and cup holder to make it work and now I no longer have a cup holder. :frown

Where the stock radio sat I installed a single din 3 gauge adapter (ebay) and the following gauges (amazon.com):
GlowShift Tinted 7 Color Transmission Oil Temperature Gauge
GlowShift Tinted 7 Color Oil Temperature Gauge
GlowShift Tinted 7 Color Oil Pressure Gauge

Cut the cup holder so that I could use the hinges and cut the cup holder cover to fill in the bottom of the bezel. Cut the bezel that went around the cd player and held the cigarette lighter to be double din size (of course I lost the cigarette lighter in the process). Used a wiring kit to make the wiring easier. Used a few parts from a pioneer double din kit. Used the cd player mounts to make it all go in easy (matched right up exactly where they should go, like it was meant for it). Used some black car door trim to fill in the gap on the sides of the receiver.

Installed a 12v power point, 2 USB power points, and battery meter below the receiver.

I also painted the dash and bezels black with trim paint.

Installed LEDs in the interior including the instrument panel. Instrument Panel LED Polarity

My Major Mods post is here: 1999 4dr 4x4 major mods

See less See more
#3 ·
awesome

i have a few ideas to my rav4 as well... for just ideas for now

at first im installing a sound system... four 6.5" speakers, amp and equalizer under one seat and shallow sub under the other seat
i also would like to do a sound deadening system but that would take a little longer

Reactions: eodgator
#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like a good plan. I just wanted to show you options for the gauges and stereo. A lot of the foreign RAV4.1 have a double din radio in that lower cup holder area so that's where I got the idea to put it there. I wanted to move the switches below the AC controls and put a double din stereo back in that spot but there isn't enough clearance behind the switches so I had go to the lower area, easy fit there because its designed for it.

Have fun with it.

#5 ·
thanks

yes, mine is double din down below
as soon as I take a few days off I will strip the interior and try to do it at once

my ideas are interior: sound proofing, sound system (four 6.5" original speakers location and 8" shallow sub under seat), dash camera, hard wired gps (hate wires hanging from windscreen), reversing camera maybe (such a tiny car, dont really need it), tyre pressure sensors, hard wired usb charger, power window roll up/alarm/gprs tracker, 230v power inverter, painting interior panels and plastic covers, wooden like vinyl on dash, arms rest (this one is done already).

exterior I was thinking brushed black aluminium vinyl, paint bumpers and all plastic parts, tint my windows, rain guards, black steel rims, two focuses headlights with either xenon or led, change all lights to led

well, lets see how far ill go

#6 ·
#7 ·
Wow, transmission... sounds like a mission. I wish I could help but I know very little.

I will post some pics, yes. I failed my warrant of fitness so I need to do rear suspension arms, rear diff mount and even seat belt... and I had to order from rockauto cause could not find over here, only in toyota. Over $1600 only in parts. So Im just waiting get the parts. I'll carry on with the stereo system as soon as get the repairs done.

#9 ·
I got the parts from rockauto... on toyota nz they were asking $345 each arm, on rockauto they were about $65 each arm plus about $70 shipping for all four... in other words, $330 from rockauto vs $1380 from toyota nz... i would say a bargain

yesterday I tried to change front mounting of rear diff and couldn't... looks like I have to take the whole body mounting off from the vehicle to take the diff mounting off, and for that I need to take the four suspension arms as well... as I still haven't got them I will wait to do it all at once

meanwhile I changed the seat belt... easy job... good thing is I saw it's not so hard to take all interior panels off, gave me ideas to my sound proofing project

#10 ·
I found an electric emergency brake listed on Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Stopp-Button-.../dp/B00QL3JKKQ

I may be able to pull one from a donor vehicle. I notice it is on several GM, BMW, and VW models.

That would free up the center of the console to install cup holders.

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
I finally got the sensors all installed, the oil temp sensor in my remote oil filter, the oil pressure sensor in a adapter above it, and the transmission temperature sensor in the forward transaxle drain plug.

To install in the drain plug, drilled and taped the center of the drain plug and installed the sensor.

#14 ·
I replaced my speakers with 2 sets of Rockford Fosgate P1675 6.75" 240W 3 Way Car Coaxial Audio Speakers... it all sounds great.

#15 ·
Where did you get that cluster of power sockets?

I did the same type of install with my stereo before I saw this post. I put a pop cup holder in the single din spot instead of gauges. I "fabricated" it myself... I took it out of a Nissan altima (1993-1997) at the wreckers. I then sanded the sizes down and epoxied the factory stereo brackets to it. I can post photos of that later, I'm sure someone would appreciate it since the 97(-) rav has 1 cup holder haha.

#16 ·
The power sockets are - Astra Depot Triple Function Dual USB Charger + Voltmeter + 12V Outlet Socket Panel Jack Marine For Digital Devices Mobile Phone Tablet from Amazon.com

I am in the process of changing this up, I wanted a CB radio in the RAV4 so I installed that in the old radio's position, where I installed the gauges. The gauges are being moved to the driver's side roof column to a triple gang mount. When I finish, I'll update the photos.

I considered getting cup holders like that, that folded out of the dash but there isn't room with the gauges, or now with the CB.

I'm going to find a center console that will replace my current one that has cup holders built in or I'll build one.

#18 · (Edited)
I moved the gauges from the single din location and put them on a pillar pod. Where the gauges and initially stock radio were I installed a CB.

These mods are under a new thread, Total Interior Remake.

#19 ·
Installed double din radio, gauges, 12v power point, usb power point

Just finished installing a PIONEER AVH-X5800BHS 7" DVD Receiver and Sirius/XM SXV300v1 (amazon.com). The receiver is double din and I mounted it in the lower double din space (where the CD player and cigarette lighter was installed). Had to make some mods to the bezel and cup holder to make it work and now I no longer have a cup holder. :frown

Where the stock radio sat I installed a single din 3 gauge adapter (ebay) and the following gauges (amazon.com):
GlowShift Tinted 7 Color Transmission Oil Temperature Gauge
GlowShift Tinted 7 Color Oil Temperature Gauge
GlowShift Tinted 7 Color Oil Pressure Gauge

Cut the cup holder so that I could use the hinges and cut the cup holder cover to fill in the bottom of the bezel. Cut the bezel that went around the cd player and held the cigarette lighter to be double din size (of course I lost the cigarette lighter in the process). Used a wiring kit to make the wiring easier. Used a few parts from a pioneer double din kit. Used the cd player mounts to make it all go in easy (matched right up exactly where they should go, like it was meant for it). Used some black car door trim to fill in the gap on the sides of the receiver.

Installed a 12v power point, 2 USB power points, and battery meter below the receiver.

I also painted the dash and bezels black with trim paint.

Installed LEDs in the interior including the instrument panel. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/226913-instrument-panel-led-polarity.html

My Major Mods post is here: 1999 4dr 4x4 major mods
Hello!
I am going to install a double din. Can the RAV4 handle the voltage? I wired my own keyless entry so I believe I should be up to the task...
Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.