Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rear step end cap removal

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Roundabout 
#1 ·
Does anyone know whether the end caps for the rear steps (the metal thing that covers the hitch) can be removed without destroying them? I am missing the passenger side end cap and have a potential donor for the other side -- if we can figure out if it can come off.

Alternatively, I could buy the whole step for probably pretty cheap but then we'd still be back to taking off an end cap without maiming it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Red

#2 ·
2 bolts hold the bracket to the metal part, and 2 bolts hold the end-cap to the bracket.

Easy.

Reactions: RedSoprani
#3 ·
Thanks! There's a guy on Craigslist selling a '97 Rav with close to 300,000 miles on it. His rear step also has a broken end cap, and his remaining cap is the one I need -- I think. Removing the remaining end cap isn't going to change the vehicle's value so I think he is game to give it a go and sell off that one little piece.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Red

#5 ·
Clean any rock, pine-cones and large bits of dirt off the top of the hitch. Set the step on the cross-bar of the hitch and slide left or right to center the hole for the hitch, then tighten the clamps that hold the step to the hitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.