Tire pressure for Firestone Destination - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Accessories Discuss RAV4.1 accessories, their installation, where to purchase, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire pressure for Firestone Destination

G'day

Just wondering about the recommended tire pressure (normal road use) for the Firestone Destination A/T 215/70R16 fitted to my Rav4.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Being stock size follow the pressure recommendations on the label in the driver's door sill

28 psi front, 26 psi rear... i think

I usually run 32 psi all around cause I carry tools in the back of my car, and I get slightly better gas mileage that way

Kurt

Bored throttle body, Ram Air Intake, 2.5" dia. exhaust, DynoMax muffler, Thrush resonator, 9005 low beams... + more
#3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:55 PM

It should be molded into the tire near where it mentions the size and load rating. The pressures listed on the frame are the recommended pressures by Toyota for ride comfort, though I have heard from a few Toyota mechanics that this causes faster wear on the outer sides of the tire tread. I would recommend running up close to the pressure listed on the tire. In case its worn off for some reason at tirerack.com it lists the max cold pressure for the Firestone Destination LE as 44 psi. I did not see the all terrain version listed in the 215/70/R16 size on tirerack.com. Possibly a different tire available outside the US? The closest size I can find is the 235/70/R16. These are also rated for 44 psi maximum when cold.

Edit: I usually run my tires within 4-8 psi of max pressure. Slightly rougher ride, but better gas mileage and quieter when running the higher psi.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

I tend to disagree with that technique

44 psi max for the tire to run safely.

The recommended pressure listed by Toyota may be a little low, but it ensures rather even wear on the tires with the car loaded in a "normal" way and the tires being regularly rotated

You can put the same tires on a Ford F150 and the ideal pressure will completely change because the truck may weigh more and the alignment is different.

My point is, 44 psi is just a max rating. You ought to stick close to recommended for YOUR CAR to get even wear. If you never rotate your tires, they will wear unevenly at any pressure, especially when our cars have crazy negative camber on the back

Kurt

Bored throttle body, Ram Air Intake, 2.5" dia. exhaust, DynoMax muffler, Thrush resonator, 9005 low beams... + more
#5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your replies!

Well, my car is a Japan import and so the pressure recommendations on the label in the driver's door is in Japanese. The car doesn't carry much load most of the time (2 adults + baby + buggy) and a tire pressure of 34 PSI sounds reasonable also for a good gas mileage.

Merry Xmas
#6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001SL2
Being stock size follow the pressure recommendations on the label in the driver's door sill

28 psi front, 26 psi rear... i think

I usually run 32 psi all around cause I carry tools in the back of my car, and I get slightly better gas mileage that way
Agreed----run 32psi on all 4
#7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Something to keep in mind----if you are getting out into snowy weather then air down to about 25-26psi on all tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page