Speaker upgrade - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Accessories Discuss RAV4.1 accessories, their installation, where to purchase, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Speaker upgrade

I have a 1999 5 door and I would like to upgrade the speakers. I would like to put 6x9s in the wagon rear and 6 inch splits in the front doors. Can someone let me know if that is possible and what I need to look out for. Thanks in advance.

Steve
1999 Rav4
1998 80 Series 40th with all the fruit.....because the earths not flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM

i dont believe 6x9 will fit in the rear i have a set of 6.5 in the rear on my car, i dont think there is enough room in the rear without adapters, imho i would just stick with 6.5 all around for convenience sake. im thinking about doing a set of components in the front now im not really happy with the sound any longer i will probably be getting a set of infinity's for the front and moving my front speakers to the back and powering the components with my current amp for my sub and upgrading my subs to infinitys 1260 and i havent decided on what new amp ill use im hoping to get 400w rms amp per sub at 4 ohms in a sealed enclosure
#3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

with proper planning you can fit 6x9s in the small cargo bays. You lose the convenience (i put a ton of bungees, jump cables and tools in there). When i was insulating with secondskin spectrum someone mentioned putting 6x9s in that area.

I cannot remember the measurements, but with some persuasion from a saw you should be able to fit 6x9s vertically where the rear speakers are currently. Just watch out for the panel, it sits fairly close to the speaker and my alpine type R coaxials just barely fit.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Look on Ebay, there are adaptors for both front and rear speakers on there
#5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM

You "could" put 6x9's in the stock rear locations with some metal trimming, even if you just replace them with 6.5" you have to drill new holes so I say go for it! I have Kappa 6.5" front and rear but with my stock rear hatch cover the rears are very muffled. I also installed a Kappa 10" sub and a small Sony amp, crossed over to 80hz it fills in the very low end perfectly. I used a quick connect setup that I rigged up from some old UPS parts so I can unhook it and set it in the garage if I need the space!
#6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussierav99 View Post
I have a 1999 5 door and I would like to upgrade the speakers. I would like to put 6x9s in the wagon rear and 6 inch splits in the front doors. Can someone let me know if that is possible and what I need to look out for. Thanks in advance.

Go to Crutchfield they will tell you what EXACTLY falls into your speaker area/opening. the Brand they have, the price, even if you need extra parts for fitting. BTW, all the information is free and you don't have to be a client for asking. The best part of all this is that you don't have to remove anything from your RAV4 to know what's going on. You will have the information needed to work with it without damaging any OEM parts. I've bought all my hardware for my RAV4, their awesome. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page