Fan Switch/Fan Button - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fan Switch/Fan Button

Hello All,

I have a 97 Rav 4, 2.2L 4 Cyl whose fan speed works except for one level. It is not a huge problem, but that level seems to be where we would most like to have the fan speed set at. When we move the fan speed to high, it is a little to loud for us, the next setting down does not work, the 3rd setting down works fine but is quite strong enough. Thus I am wondering what part I would need to replace. AC & heat work fine & again, the fan works/blows fine at all the other settings other than the one. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's almost certainly the blower resistor which is probably mounted on the underside of the blower housing. Easy & inexpensive fix.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
KCnTW (04-05-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
It's almost certainly the blower resistor which is probably mounted on the underside of the blower housing. Easy & inexpensive fix.
That was my first thought as well, but in this case the OP is saying that the highest and lowest speeds are working. It is only an intermediate speed that is not working.

The resistor pack is a group of resistors in "series". As the fan speed selector is moved through the positions from high towards low, it effectively adds more resistors to the string. If the fan stopped working at one speed it should not work at any lower speed if one of the series resistors was open.

I would still recommend that you check the resistor pack, but more specifically look for one of the connected wires to be burnt off, or the connection is corroded. If you find no problem there, then I would suspect the speed selector itself.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickl For This Useful Post:
KCnTW (04-05-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickl View Post
That was my first thought as well, but in this case the OP is saying that the highest and lowest speeds are working. It is only an intermediate speed that is not working.

The resistor pack is a group of resistors in "series". As the fan speed selector is moved through the positions from high towards low, it effectively adds more resistors to the string. If the fan stopped working at one speed it should not work at any lower speed if one of the series resistors was open.
That occurred to me too, the series resistors. Max speed bypasses the resistors. But the second highest speed resistor failure should take out the lower speeds too. Not having a schematic I wasn't sure.
Anyway it's easier to check than the switch which may be the problem except I'd think it could have been made to work by "wiggling" it around the bad speed at least for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
KCnTW (04-05-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Dr. Dyno is correct. If your speed adjustment switch was the problem, you probably would have noticed the fan cutting in and out as you wiggled the switch. This would have gone on for sometime before failing to work entirely.

Here is a picture of a typical resistor pack. The coils, which are the resistors, are inserted into the blower housing so that the resistors are kept cool by the moving air. Your vehicles wiring harness connects to the side not visible in the picture.

To test the pack, connect one lead from an ohmmeter to one of the end contacts, and measure the resistance to each of the other contacts as you follow the path of the coils. The resistance should increase each time you move to the next contact. If the resistance goes to infinity then you have a bad resistor pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resistor1.jpg (61.9 KB, 24 views)

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickl For This Useful Post:
KCnTW (04-05-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Fan Switch/Fan Button

Thanks Guys for all the help. I will definitely look into this as soon as I return to the US (currently out of the country at the moment). Your help is greatly appreciated. I had not tried to wiggle the speed selector but I can say that the position where the fan does not work at, has never worked for us (we are the second owners). Thus even when passing by it or stopping on it, the fan has never worked there but always at the positions above & below it. Again, thank you guys very much!!
#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Interesting, my switch only works on high, 1 and 2 don't work at all.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 AM

I just worked out my fan switch issue tonight on my 00 Rav.

Mine never worked on med/high since I bought it in 05. The other day the switch lost tension when changing levels and would wiggle in and out and would only blow on low.

The fan level switch selector is a separate unit that attaches to the bottom of the main switch assembly. I unplugged it from the wiring harness to inspect the contacts and could hear something rattling around inside. It's a 2 part clamshell, you need to pop 3 tabs to get it apart.

Be careful there is a ball bearing, 2 springs and copper plate in there. My spring fell on the floor and I didn't realize it until I reinstalled the switch and nothing worked. Luckily I found the spring.

I wish I took pictures but it was 105 & humid in Phx this afternoon so I just wanted to get it done ASAP.

Reassembly step:

1. Put ball bearing against one of the 5 lobes of the switch housing.

2. The end of the lever has a plastic sleeve with a spring inside. The lever has a hole where it pivots on a pin. Press the sleeve over the bearing against the lobe and slide the lever down over the pivot pin.

3. There is a plastic square on the lever with a hole in it, thats where the other spring goes. Put the copper contact plate on the spring, push down and squeeze the copper tabs over the stubs on the plastic square to lock it in place.

4. One of the prongs that plugs into the wiring harness looked burnt/discolored. I cleaned it up with some sand paper, and then scuffed up the two raised bumps on the lever contact plate.

5. Pop it back together plug it back in and test.

My fan switch now works on all 4 levels, what a relief (very important for AZ summers).
The Following User Says Thank You to dalbo For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (07-17-2014)
#9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightfoot View Post
Interesting, my switch only works on high, 1 and 2 don't work at all.
That's the most common failure and is 99% sure to be a bad blower resistor, the easiest fix.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM

We live up the hill in Prescott so howdy to a neighbor .

I just ordered a new switch, didn't want to mess with it. Figured it lasted 100K miles so the next one should last that long.
Thing is, the whole switch thing seems like they cheaped out unless that's how most manufacturers do it? Just seems like a failure (potentially worse?) waiting to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page