Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Timing Belt Replacement Question

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
My timing belt snapped so I replaced it. Thought the marks were set right, but the engine just doesn't seem to have the power as before. I do not want to take it apart again to verify my marks are on, so could I just advance to timing from the d-cap to make up the difference if in fact the belt is off a tooth? She starts right up and sound fine, but just doesn't run like she did before. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or tips.

r/
mike

#2 · (Edited)
so could I just advance to timing from the d-cap to make up the difference if in fact the belt is off a tooth?
mike
Nope, ignition timing and valve timing are two completely different things. If your valve timing is off, you will never compesate for it by retarding or advancing the ignition.

Maybe there is some data somewhere to tell you at what degree of crank rotation the valves start to open. You could then just take off the rocker cover off, rotate the crank and observe the valves. If the valve timing is out, you will certainly need to do the belt again.

#4 ·
Bob is correct. After replacing a timing belt I rotate the engine by hand at least two crankshaft revolutions and verify the timing marks are correct. Seems like half the times I end up having to correct it. :shrug:

#5 ·
I have a 2003 and I was able to adjust timing without removing timing chain cover. i first made sure I was at top dead center-secured for no movement. I then removed the chain tensioner and released the exhaust cam gear. I struggled but was able to align the timing marks.

Not sure if this helps.

Good Luck,

4RAV4

#6 ·
Remove right wheel.
Remove the alternator and it's mount;
DO NOT Remove engine mount.
Loosen steering pump bolt, remove the belt.
Remove crank pulley bolt, remove crank pulley (pull with hands for about 5-10 minutes).
Remove plastic covers. The bolts can be different length!
Rotate engine, until a small hole in the cam gear is pointing up.

Take a small nail, put it in a small hole in the cam gear (gear positioned with this hole UP). There is a small groove - You will feel it with the nail.
When you are sure, that the hole is straight with the mark - put the crank pulley and lower cover on, the mark on the pulley should be aligned with "0" degrees.

Lower power after doing timing belt = 99.9% skipped a notch.

#8 ·
The 4.1 gasoline engines are non-interference. Belt breaks, simply replace it.

#10 ·
Well, based on Glaeken's comments above, I decided to have another look at the timing marks. Been avoiding the job because I hate messing with that darn motor mount. At any rate, the car wasn't running bad, but it just wasn't the same and less power. Thought 1 tooth off would be VERY noticeable, but it really wasn't. Sure enough, I was off a tooth. She's running just like new now. Again, thanks for the tips.

r/
mike

#11 ·
..... Thought 1 tooth off would be VERY noticeable, but it really wasn't. Sure enough, I was off a tooth. She's running just like new now.
Years ago I actually ran a 1-tooth experiment on one of my Accords. One way it kills low rpm power but runs strong once you get it revved up. Yours must have been off the other way where it's okay off idle and low RPM but power fades as you rev it.
Anyway, glad you got it sorted out as they say on Wheeler Dealers, an excellent program on Velocity channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.