Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Low Power after cold start (Automatic)

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  fhd 
#1 ·
I have a 97 4dr automatic (import from canada).

My driveway is quite steep and after cold starts, e.g. in the morning I have trouble getting up there.

When I try it after some minutes it's fine. I can also feel a difference. Not sure if it is the engine not having the full torque or if the "clutch is slipping" (it's an automatic model though - i usually drive manual).

In normal operation everything is fine - this problem just pops up when the engine is cold.

Any idea what that could be?

#3 ·
Don't know about 4.1 RAVs but at least some later models have a power limiter which acts when the engine is cold to limit power as a means of avoiding engine damage.

#4 ·
Engine rings do not seal when the engine is cold. Once warmed up, they expand and seal properly. That is why all engines come with a thermostat, it open when the engine reaches operating temperature. That is why some engine create like a warp or un-even cylinder wall, especially at the top of the engine block. When rebuilding thy must be honey or even opened up like 20, 30 and even 40 over. Engine will run warmer though. (those were my Chevy days)

#5 ·
When the engine is warm it works normal (can go up "everywhere"). Our driveway is not quite 1:1 but close to that.

I did some more research and had the problem again this morning and yesterday after work.

It also has problems to fire up, almost stalling when I start it. Also: When it is in "N" and I press down the throttle it "howls" normally - when I put in the gear it transfers no power, gets even weaker (almost stalling).

As it works normally when in "N" I assume that it's not the "usual" Air Sensor / Air Filter issue? Maybe something transmission-related? Transmission fluid has been changed recently.

Also about the environment I drive in here: I'm currently in Africa, so roads are quite dusty.

#7 ·
Intake filter (assuming that this is the air filter?) looks fine to me, not worse than in my car in Europe. It runs really fine once I made it out of the driveway - inclined or not. (RAV4 is so common here - was sitting in a lot of those in the past couple of months so I have the comparison).

I was hoping to be able to narrow down the problem a bit more, as the mechanics here are usually clueless and just try around if it's not a common problem, so telling them where to start would save some time and money.

I'm not sure how the locale changes the general problem (apart from conditions like dust or possibly lower grade fuel). Was just mentioning it, because dust might be a problem somewhere apart from the air intake?

Could I get more info from reading out values through OBD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.