Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Question about inner diameter of ABS-rings

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Liloolil 
#1 ·
Hi.

First I want to thank everybody on this great forum. It has helped me a lot. :smile

I have just bought a Rav4.1, and I am experiencing some problems with the ABS-system. When I am breaking on dry roads at low speeds, the ABS kicks in.
The ABS-bulb in the dashboard is working, but it is not on when driving.
I have run some tests with jumpers in the DLC1 underneath the hood. But I am not sure if I am doing this right, because I got all the error codes from the blinking bulb: 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 and 78. Error codes on page 7(149) in this PDF
I also get error code 79, but it is not in the PDF. I think it is strange that all the speed sensors has errors, so I suspect a broken ECU.
But before I try to replace the ECU, I want to replace the ABS-rings/Tone-rings/Reluctor-rings and clean the speed sensors. Maybe they are just full of dirt and rust.
I want to buy the ABS-rings before I start taking things apart. So I am wondering if someone knows the inner diameter of the ABS-rings that fits front and rear on my car?
I have found two types on eBay, 70mm and 80mm, both with 48 teeth. I have also been at a local Toyota dealer, and they told me that they did not sell these rings. They wanted me to buy new axles with rings, but that is too expensive for me.

Some information about the car:
Rav4.1 SXA11L-AWMGKW
4x4 5-door
Year: 1998/1999
Engine: 3SFE 1998cm3
Driving length: 150000km (93200miles)
Manual gear
Bought in Europe (Norway)

~Liloolil

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't tell you the diameter of the reluctor rings but having experienced abs problems on mine too I had to remove the driveshafts because the reluctor rings had split, one on the front, one on the rear.
All of the rings are made from stainless steel, the gearbox side one is fitted to a stainless steel sleeve which fits over the steel axle hub. I recently had this driveshaft out to renew the gators, to be honest I then wished I had bought a new driveshaft from Rockauto as they are very inexpensive, however, I did look at the reluctor ring to ensure it was in good condition, ( it wasn't the one I had repaired previously) these are not serviceable items, you need a press to remove them, unless you have access to the right equipment then forget it.
On the rear from memory ( it was five years ago I worked on this one so memory a bit fuzzy) the reluctor ring was pressed or shrunk onto the steel hub, I may be wrong and it may be fitted also to a stainless steel sleeve but I remember that the hub had rusted, expanded and the ring had split.
I removed it, cleaned the hub back to bare steel, treated it and then used a two part epoxy to refit the ring, I held it in place overnight with cable ties to ensure it glued tight with no gaps ( did the same on the front one also) and repainted the bare steel of the hub.
That was five years ago and both are holding up well, no problems. Except...... and I know I am not alone, every now and then, maybe once a month the abs kicks in just as I am about to stop, only momentarily then back to normal, just for a second or so, I never did find a code to indicate what caused this and I know others on here have had this problem too.
So by all means pull the driveshafts out and clean the rings, they will be dirty but as they are stainless you can clean them, if they are split then do as I did and repair them. With regard to buying new ones then try a company that remanufactures driveshafts but fitting them will probably require either a press ( which may even break the rings) or involve heating them to expand and shrink fit them to the hubs.
Probably better to buy new driveshafts, better still, if you are sure the sensors and rings are good then try another abs ecu from a breaker/dismantler.
Good luck and let us know how you get on, there is not much about abs on here, I suspect it was not fitted to the U.S. cars as standard unlike European ones.

#4 ·
Sorry for late update. I have been busy this summer.
As Ken Allistone suspected, a reluctor ring had split. So I removed the ring, cleaned the surface and the ring, and then glued it back together with two part epoxy.
It was only the ring on the front left axle (drivers side) that had split. The right side ring was fine. I did not check the rings on the rear axles. After the epoxy had dried, I did a test run, and the problem was gone. :D
I should have taken more pictures, but I got three pictures in case someone with the same problem reads this later: Imgur Album

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.