Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

No brights - Headlights

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ken Allistone 
#1 ·
It appears I've lost my brights. There is no voltage on the positive side of 3 pin plug on my 96. There are two 15 amp fused in the under hood fuse panel and both ohm out o.k. and I even tried swapping them as I've been fooled in the past by a weak fuse. Any suggestions?

Can anyone point me to schematics. I've read more schematics in my occupation than I can count and have no issue with the technical aspects if I could find the documentation electronically.

#4 ·
It was working then nothing. I can kind of see a faint blue (when really dark) on the dash to indicate they are switched but there is nothing at the plug for voltage. Lows stay on regardless of stalk position. Where did you get a replacement Stalk?

#5 ·
After taking a second look, it seems that I was incorrect in my earlier post when I said "If the DRL's work, then the wiring is good, and the problem is most likely internal to the headlight switch". It appears that the 1996 RAV uses the low beams as DRL's and not the high beams like the majority of vehicles do, so this test would be irrelevant.

In order to confirm that the problem is in the switch, test the "flash" position of the stalk. This position makes use of all the same external wiring to the switch, including grounds, but uses different contacts within the switch. This test should not only illuminate the high beams , but also light the blue indicator at full brightness. If the flash position works, then you have a 99% chance the stalk is defective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.