Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

5th Gear

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Kreed5821 
#1 ·
Hey. I've read a lot on here about changing 5th gear. What can I check after I've replaced everything? I replaced everything from the gear out except the fork and the lock ring on end of the shaft. Still, when I shift into 5th, as soon as I press the gas it comes out of 5th. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Everything went smooth putting it back together. I'm dumbfounded at this point.

Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll check that. Is it accessible from inside?

Can anyone confirm which way the collar goes on the gear? I dropped it as I took it apart. That's the only piece I wasn't sure of when putting it back together. I put the pointed side of the teeth facing 5th gear. Is that correct?

#7 ·
Recheck your part numbers.
I seem to recall that someone in the sticky post got the original bearing when they asked for the TSB bearing and 5th kept popping out after their repair.

#8 ·
Roundabout, the other thread is pretty confusing because of all of the part numbers listed. Im in the US. Here is what I replaced:

5th Gear 33336-42040
Hub, Transmission 33393-42010
Bearing, Needle 90364-28013
Sleeve, Transmission 33395-42012

From what I gathered from the sticky I have the wrong needle bearing. But like I said, there's a lot of old info and info from different countries. I'd rather make sure it's wrong than go blow $40 at the dealer. I also replaced everything in the hub while I was at it. If that IS the wrong bearing, will that cause it to slip out immediately?

#9 ·
From what they say in the sticky, getting the 90364-28023 will fix your problem.

#10 ·
Ok. It took a while to get around to it but I got the correct needle bearing. It has 8 needles per side rather than 7 on the original, and FIRST NEW ONE. But now the gear doesn't slip over it. Does the gear need to be pressed on? I tried putting the needle bearing into the gear and it doesn't fit at all. I can put one side in but have to pinch it inward. Then the other side wont fit. Im sure i could make it lol. Maybe it can be pressed on but I'm wanting to know if something is wrong, I don't want to press it on and spend even more money replacing something that's already new.

Thanks for any advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.