Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

A/T temp dash message

25K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Roland 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm having starting problems on my 2000 Auto and I've noticed that when the ignition is on there is a A/T temp warning message showing on the dashboard. I can't remember If this is normal and will clear when the car starts??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
The light coming on when you turn the key on without the engine running sounds like a test function to let you know the warning light works.
This is what my owners manual says about your light:

(i) Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperature Warning Light (four- wheel drive models)
This light warns that the automatic transmission fluid temperature is too high.
If this light comes on while you are driving, slow down and pull off the road. Stop the vehicle at a safe place and put the selector lever in ”P”. With the engine idling, wait until the light goes off. If the light goes off, you can start the vehicle again. If the light does not go off, call a
Toyota dealer or qualified repair shop for assistance.

NOTICE
Continued driving with the warning light on may damage the automatic transmission.

#5 ·
The A/T oil ... light comes one when I start my 2000, then goes off.

If cranking fine but no spark, one thing to look at is the ignition coil(s) and its wires (the 2000 has two coil packs). In the way old days, a distributor's condenser would be suspect too.

Also check the various grounds including the ground strap. Read on here about installing an extra, HD ground strap.

#10 ·
Could be a ECM problem, but more likely to be a timing belt problem.
Are you sure your belt is in time and in good order?

ECMs are usually easy to replace, but not cheap.

#12 ·
Checked the timing belt - ok
Got a spark
Got fuel pressure
Fuel injectors at getting a signal
Still won't start
If it's left for some time it's sounds like it's trying to fire for a few turns then nothing
I'm at a loss what to try next!
The cars not worth enough to take to a garage. So I guess it's heading fir scrap. Pity!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.