Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Headlights work , but Highbeams do not!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  eodgator 
#1 ·
2000 RAV4

I turned my highbeams on last night, they came on for a flash and went out. Checked the fuses and they look fine (no burn marks or busted innards) Seems strange that both bulbs would both go burn out at the same time.....
Left and right headlights work fine, just no highbeams

Any help?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Could be the hi-beam relay or both bulbs burned out and you happened to miss seeing the first one quit. Less likely would be a bad switch.

Reactions: PEI-2000-RAV4
#3 ·
The high beams use the same fuses as the low beams. They also make use of the same H-LP relay. Try activating the high beams using the flash feature on the stalk. This will use another switch contact in case the normal hi-beam contact is defective.

If that doesn't work then you almost certainly have 2 burned out bulbs.

#4 ·
I had a Chevy Trailblazer that blew out the high beams twice within days, I traced it to a poor plastic socket design and probably a bad ground. My solution was replacing the plastic sockets with ceramic ones and added ground wires directly to the frame. It fixed my problem, no more blown high beams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.