Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Electrical issues

8K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Roundabout 
#1 ·
Just found what I think is problem with electrical. The 80 amp fuse over heated and started to melt the Fusable Link Block which comes off the positive battery cable. I have been looking for a replacement Link Block but have been unsuccessful. Dealer says that it only comes with the wiring harness. Does anyone have a suggestion on finding one? If I find one I will replace all fuses in the Block and reconnect.

#2 ·
Welcome Michael,
You'll likely end up removing all the needed parts from a donor RAV4 at a junkyard. But I'd determine the root cause first so it doesn't repeat. Could be a loose or corroded connection or an overload.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Thank you for the responses. First how do I check if there is a short somewhere. Second thanks for part number for box. It appears though that this part number is for 2000 and newer. Mine is a 1996. Would this work in replacement of the old one if I got new fuses and assembly? After cleaning up old one everything is working properly, but for how long? Also my horn has not worked for a couple of years. At first it worked then intermittently now nothing. Could it be the horn fuses or the horn in steering wheel?

#5 ·
You didn't have the year of your RAV4 posted so I just used 99 for my search. I have no idea what your's looks like or where it's located, if you take a look at the attached photo, mine is attached to the positive battery terminal. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaNVhmRUNZUWsxZFU. To answer your question, I don't see why it wouldn't work but you may have to run some new wire depending on where it's currently mounted.

As far as your horns go, it could be a fuse (start here), a bad relay (I don't know if your's has a horn relay), bad ground, damaged wiring, rotted out horns, or worst case a faulty switch. My horns had almost completely rusted away, I replaced them, added a relay, and ran a ground to the horns.

#6 ·
I didn't answer the short part of your question, check out this youtube video:

Here is a good cheap tone generator and probe tool for tracing wires - Harbor Freight - Cen-Tech Cable Tracker (Item#94181)

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. The picture you sent is same one that is in my car. The part number that I was told looks completely different. The one you have is the same one I am looking to replace. I also picked up new fuse for horn to see if that is issue and will go from there. Is it easy to take off horn from steering wheel to see if there is an issue there.

#9 ·
#8 ·
Here is a better or at least more versatile tone generator - Tacklife CT01 Classic Wire Tracker RJ11 RJ45 Line Finder Cable Tester for Network Cable Collation, Telephone Line Test, Continuity Checking (amazon.com)

#13 ·
My 99 docs claim 82620-42020 is the part number for the fusible link block.
I found on the net that the part number was changed in 2006 to 82620-40030, but this part seems to be hard to find.
Best bet seems to be if you can find a used part, or it would be simple to make your own block with after-market parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.