my 1996 RAV4 needs a new clutch - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Anonymous

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
my 1996 RAV4 needs a new clutch

but calling around gets me vastly different pricing - most repair places (including the dealer) say that the clutch is very hard to get to, so lots of hours of labor charges. But one place, A-1 clutch and brake in Renton says they can do this for $500 incl. new parts - maybe I'm just not asking the right questions, or maybe they're just really fast about it and are set up with the right equipment, etc. Any ideas? i've never written in a forum before, but this could be fun. I really like my RAV and have taught both my daughters to drive a stick in it (hence the clutch issues )

thanks anyone for your opinion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:54 PM
kidong

You can buy one off ebay. Cost like US130.00. It comes with pressure plate, bearing, new clutch plate etc. Pretty much a kit. Ask someone to do the labour. CHeaper that way.

#3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Personally, I would stick to an OEM Toyota clutch, they last longer and are better quality than most aftermarket clutches. You can pick up the Toyota clutch from the dealer and have another shop do the install to save money. However, brands such as Valeo, ASCO(Aisin), Luk(Aisin), and Daikin/Exedy are also suitable replacements. Supposedly Toyota clutches are made by one or more of those companies anyway, but I would still stick with OEM just for simplicity.

According to the Toyota shop manual, the engine and transmission must be dropped to replace the clutch. However, there may be a way to do it through the wheelwell or some other way so you don't have to drop the engine. The shop you mentioned may be able to do it without having to drop the engine.

Also, clutch "kits" usually come with a few parts in addition to the clutch plate, including the throwout/pilot bearings, alignment tool, and pressure plate. That's why prices may differ, because some places may only sell you a clutch plate and nothing else, although most places only sell kits.

You can also check online, although I would stay away from eBay unless you know exactly what you are getting. Here are a couple places to check:

http://www.jtoutfitters.com
http://www.dial-a-clutch.com

Don't forget to have the flywheel resurfaced.

2010 Green Tacoma DC V6 4WD 6-SPD TRD Off-Road
Former 2001 Black Rav4 4WD w/ 5-speed manual, 172+ miles
#4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
kidong

OEM clutches are just too damn expensive and works the same.

Exedy is great, but needs a bit learning in driving it. THe clutch is extremely light, but have no fear, it does not mean it breaks easy. I'm using it now and I have a 200HP 3SGE in my RAV4. It should work fine and saves you muscle cramp during traffic jam.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Anonymous

thank you all for your quick replies

#6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Chad75

clutch

I have the original clutch on my 96 rav, but I can sort of tell it will be going soon lol.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidong
OEM clutches are just too damn expensive and works the same.

Exedy is great, but needs a bit learning in driving it. THe clutch is extremely light, but have no fear, it does not mean it breaks easy. I'm using it now and I have a 200HP 3SGE in my RAV4. It should work fine and saves you muscle cramp during traffic jam.
Was the Exedy less than OEM? Do they sell a complete kit with bearings and pressureplate?
#8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:21 PM

I got my exedy clutch online for like $137 + shipping. Not bad. I think it was clutch city or something like that. Problem is getting someone to install it (if you are not) and warranty their work. I should have just paid Toyota to do it instead of some damn grease monkey in town. It did come with the bearings and pressure plate too.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnylrq
I got my exedy clutch online for like $137 + shipping. Not bad. I think it was clutch city or something like that. Problem is getting someone to install it (if you are not) and warranty their work. I should have just paid Toyota to do it instead of some damn grease monkey in town. It did come with the bearings and pressure plate too.
That's a pretty good price for a kit, do you find it's a lighter engagement like Kidong noticed with his?
#10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 AM
mechaniki

engine needs to be dropped to change the clutch. Unless you have a car lift, engine dropper or cherry picker, DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. Changing the cluts on a rav4 takes usually 10 hours if you dont have any problems and you know what your doing. Most general mechanics dont. You NEED to ask the shop whether they have ever replaced the clutch on a rav4.1, be specific. Ask them for a quote and tell them that you will not accept deviations from the quoted time allocation.

a long time ago i had my rav4 in for a clutch change and the garage took 4 days, and made me pay an extra 120$ because the Fing idiot didnt know what he was doing. Ask them "do you need to drop the engine out to replace the clutch on this car?" if they say no, walk away. Dont let them tear off half your underbody parts, k-frame, stearing, drive shafts, and all that just to find out that they also have to drop the engine....

Ask specific questions and both of you guys will know neither is stupid to fall for each others tricks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page