Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

5th Gear Popping out Self-Repair

372K views 282 replies 98 participants last post by  jiggseob 
#1 ·
[This thread is referenced in our Mods/Maint section 8)]

I probably should wait until the job is actually completed, but I intend to replace the parts required to eliminate the 5th gear popping out problem on my '97 RAV4.

Mine started popping out a few months ago, but recently the problem has gotten worse. It now pops out almost as soon as I put it in gear.

I visited with a mechanic who replaced the parts without removing the engine and transaxle from the vehicle. He did it by going in through the left (driver's side) fender well. He loosened the left engine mount to improve access, but indicated that once the cover is removed from the end of the transmission, all of the parts needing replacement are readily accessible, and slide off the shaft following the removal of a retainer.

The parts are on order from my local Toyota dealer, who matched the available on-lilne price (with 7% sales tax -- just under $300).

If successful, I will document the replacement on this site, with photos and insights.

If you have any insights, please relate them to me.

Stay tuned, and wish me luck.

See less See more
#102 ·
Need Advice

I replaced 5th gear, the needle bearing and the hub and the process went smooth as silk thanks to the step-by-step guide on this site. Now the bad news........5th gear is still popping out. Do you think it is the shift fork? If so does anyone have the part number. I have been using the old strap to hold it in gear method for about 6 months so if that has lead to other issues then please advise. Thanks for your help.

#103 ·
KBrasher, did you replace the shifting collar (sleeve) also? If that's worn also, it will not stay in gear, probably more important than the gear itself. It shouldn't need the shifting fork to keep it in gear...there should be no force on the fork while it's in gear. So a worn fork should not be the culprit for not staying in gear, but if you've been using it to hold it in gear, it probably will be worn. Still, it should only make it sloppier if it's worn, and eventually make it so you couldn't get it in gear. Are you sure the synchro's are in right? I don't think that would do it either, they would just make it harder to shift. Id say check to be sure you have the hub pressed on far enough, and that it is all together correctly.

ZAZ, I was using the puller all along, but that brass bar I was using to protect the shaft was not strong enough to let me put enough pressure on the hub to pull it. I finally had to use a steel bar in there, and just keep on it with the impact wrench until it moved.

I've done enough research to know the MT-90 will be ok in there, but it sure looks wrong. It's almost clear! Here in Alaska, though, We don't need anything too heavy. I did learn it's far superior to the Royal Purple that hs recently shown up everywhere.

#104 ·
Just need to check the part number thing before I go ahead and order, if someone has recently done this fix can they confirm the 'new'part no's are :-

5TH GEAR (Old number 33336-12061) 33336-42040
SLEEVE (Old number 33395-12021) 33395-42012
NEEDLE BEARING 90364-28023

Thanks in advance for any help
:D:

#105 ·
Prevention of 5th gear pop-out

Hi,

Is there any way to eliminate or slow down the 5th gear pop-out issue in our Ravs?
Would a better lubricant (synthetic) help, especially in the colder climate where I live,
or is it the nature of the beast and just bound to happen? My 1997 Rav has no 5th gear issue yet at 129000 KM, I also hardly ever use 5th. Will the wear occur even if 5th is hardly ever used?

Thanks,

Wil

#109 ·
5th gear now fixed

My Rav4 started jumping out of 5th gear at 94500miles. I thought about getting a garage to sort it but all i got was that will be a tricky job and cost X amount of pounds. So doing a bit of reseach i found this brilliant Rav4 forum datailing how to fix the 5th gear problem yourself. So i would just like to report that if anybody else is suffering the same problem its not that hard to do yourself and the cost to it myself came to a grand total of £316.00p. That included all the relevant parts ie: 5th gear, hub, sleeve, needle roller bearing, a harmonic puller off ebay & new gearbox oil. Thanks again to all the contributors especially Hardrocker for all the useful advice on this fix because without it myself & others would have been probably ripped off and had to pay mega bucks to get a garage to sort it.

P.S - one useful tip is to warm up the new clutch hub in the oven before attempting to push it onto the transmission shaft it makes it slide on fairly easy.

Thanks Again
Dave. :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

#111 ·
Help! A quick question, I'm putting it all back together but having trouble with the 5th gear. The new part supplied was pt no 33336-42040 which aparently supercedes the part no listed in the TSB but the 42040 part has a slightly larger major diameter than the old and won't fit/mesh with the smaller gear, it interferes with the minor diameter of the small gear. By eye I'd say that the 42040 5th gear is about 2mm bigger on the outer diameter. Any clues? (yes I have contacted the suppliers and they are checking with Toyota)

#152 ·
Hi Gronno, I see your message is from February 2011. Do you still have the USA version Rav4 5th gear still available for sale? If you do, how much do you need for it and shipping to Yakima, Washington 98902? I bought a $500 231k mile 96Rav4 4WD with the popping out 5th gear. I already replaced the clutch (w/o removing the engine), (got lucky, it was about one fuel tank away from being down to the clutch rivits). Wish it was a 2WD.
Now, its time for the 5th gear. Nobody talks about replacing the brass synchronizer pull and outer ring. Did you ever replace these parts? I had brass in my oil when I pulled the 5th gear tranny cover, however their dog teeth looks good. Also, nobody talks about the different input shaft end snap ring clip sizes which are available from Toyota, to take up the end thrust clearances. Thanks, Bob Adams...

#116 ·
Some light at the end of the tunnel! Turns out that the TSB with part numbers which I've used is a non-EU TSB and the part no's are slightly different for UK/EU so the 5th gear part number that I need is T33336-42030.
Apparently the Driven 5th gear should also be changed due to it wearing against the 5th gear itself and having a slightly different teeth profile as a result, I don't think I'll bother though as I cant see or feel any wear at all on that gear (58k miles). Another bit of info; the rear bearing retainer (plate) is listed as changed in the TSB because it can wear on the backside and allow the shaft excessive thrust (movement along its axis, in and out of the 'box) which leads to the gears failing. Mine felt tight, bearly any movement, so I'm leaving it alone as well.

#117 ·
We bought this 97 4X4 in the fall. It had $3000 in transmission repairs (customers complaint;transmission pops out of 5th gear) done by Toyota 3 years ago. So our complaint is,it still pops out of 5 GEAR!
I'm not afraid of the job,but to get enough of the RIGHT parts is an other thing. If a Toyota dealer can't get it not to pop out of 5th how are we suppose to?

#118 ·
Well I'm please to say the jobs done and we now have a perfectly smooth and jump free 5th gear. After getting the correct UK 5th gear part it all went well.
I now have a spare new 5th gear part with what I think is the correct US part number of 33336-42040, this is brand new unused and still in its Toyota packet, I'd like to sell this as Toyota UK won't take it back :cry: I'll also supply with the part the required puller and the correct threaded bolt to use as a pusher as per Hardrockers excellent instructions :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
If any one US side is interested just pm me or email direct to gronno at tiscali.co.uk

#119 ·
maggietherav4x4 said:
We bought this 97 4X4 in the fall. It had $3000 in transmission repairs (customers complaint;transmission pops out of 5th gear) done by Toyota 3 years ago. So our complaint is,it still pops out of 5 GEAR!
I'm not afraid of the job,but to get enough of the RIGHT parts is an other thing. If a Toyota dealer can't get it not to pop out of 5th how are we suppose to?
It's possible that the retaining plate which the TSB lists as a part requiring change, was not changed, which can/will lead to premature wear on the other components. Apparently the back side of this plate can wear and alllow the shaft to float in and out.
If I were doing it again and had doubts about part numbers I'd whip the 5th gear cover off, takes about 1/2hr max, and count the teeth on the 5th gear and check which part number I needed.
33336-42040 has 40 teeth and I think is a US spec part, the number is the updated one for the TSB part no.
33336-42030 is the 39 tooth 5th gear which I think is the UK part number.
It is perfectly do-able as a DIY if you follow this sites instrcutions, read 'em all first! It's handy to have a mechanically savvy friend to help with the syncromesh hub thing re-assembly just for the extra fingers.

#124 ·
Toyota dealer only I'm afraid.
I have a brand new 5th gear pert no. 33336-42040 which is the US 5th gear part no, (different one for the UK) I'm quite happy to post it internationally, I'd rather sell it on at a good discount to someone who'll use it, than look at it sat on my desk. PM me or email gronno at tiscali.co.uk if you're interested.:cheers:

#122 ·
Hi everyone , just joined the forum but have used it for a few years. It's a great place for Ravers. I have a 97 Rav4 with manual tranny , i just had the clutch and 5th gear replaced. I had it done by a local mechanic ( alot cheaper ), the 5th gear works but the lever moves about 1/2 inch when off and on power. Is this normal ??

thanks !

#125 ·
same for 2002 Rav4?

I seem to have the exact same problem, but on my 2002 Rav4. The TSB does not cover my model year. Does anyone know if there is a separate TSB for 2002, or if I even have the same problem. My shifter has rocked in 5th gear ever since I purchased my Rav at 98000miles. Now it has 108000miles and it jumped out of 5th for the first time a week ago, and will not stay in 5th gear at all.

#128 ·
I just did my 5th gear and it worked perfectly. I am in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada and I got the part numbers from my local dealer.

5th Gear is 33336-42030
Bearing is 90364-28023
Sleeve is 33395-42012

The 5th gear is different than the one used in the USA. I priced the parts locally at $500. I got them from toyotapartscheap.com for $223 to the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.