I started the project today.
After washing the Minnesota snow and ice off the RAV, I drove it into my shop, raised the front end, and supported it on jack stands. I don't know if you have to drain the transaxle, but I planned to replace the gear oil, so I drained it. After removing the left front wheel, the splash guard was next.
This was the view I got after removing the splash guard. The end cover on the tranny is exposed (the black cover with the number 9 on it).
Ten bolts and a little rubber hammer encouragement later the cover came off to expose -- all of the parts that need to be replaced. Some oil dropped out of the cover, so be ready.
The retainer on the end of the shaft was pryed off with a small screwdriver. It will fly when released, so be ready to catch it. A 12mm wrench was used to remove the shifter fork and collar.
The hub is pressed onto the shaft, so I had to fabricate a puller.
Using the puller, the hub came off without a problem.
Transferring the synchronizer from the old hub to the new hub was a bit tricky. I advise you to look closely at how the assembly fits in there. A couple of retainers are a little tricky to get back into place, but note that the retainers have protrusions that have to slip into holes in the hub. There may be a way to use thin wire or wire ties to hold everything together. It took me about 30 minutes of fiddling around to get the synchronizer installed in the new hub.
With the hub off, the old 5th gear will slip right off the shaft. The split needle bearing then falls on the floor.
Oil the new split needle bearing, put the two part bearing on the shaft, and slip the new 5th gear over the bearing.
As of now I have invested about two hours in the processs. My wife says it is suppertime, so I will continue with this procedure later.
Even if you don't want to do it yourself, you can show this thread to a transmission mechanic and prove that the repair can be done with the transmission in place. I didn't even have to loosen the engine mounts to gain the required clearance.