Heat/AC Blower Motor Resistor -- fan motor likely going too? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Heat/AC Blower Motor Resistor -- fan motor likely going too?

One of my 2000 RAV4s actually had something break today! Had been amazingly reliable ...

The blower switch was set on mid-level, and suddenly the fan went quiet. High speed still worked, and I think very low speed. The electrical manual shows that the blower motor resistor is located behind the glove compartment (must remove).

1) Anyone else had this happen? If so, did you replace the resistor, only to have it blow again soon?

2) I see the resistor on several Web sites for about US$21 (including Toyota of Richardson, Texas http://usatoyotaparts.com and Rock Auto). Anyone know of a cheaper parts dealer on the Web?

Thanks.

-----------
LugNut
2000 RAV4.1 L
Special Edition version
All stock except stereo system,
turbo exhaust, air temp gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
Hmmm ... worked fine this morning ...

But, wiggling the switch caused the fan to cut out. Will shoot a little TV tuner cleaner in it and see what happens.

-----------
LugNut
2000 RAV4.1 L
Special Edition version
#3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut
Hmmm ... worked fine this morning ...

But, wiggling the switch caused the fan to cut out. Will shoot a little TV tuner cleaner in it and see what happens.
Dodgy contacts in the switch gear....

Keep on RAVin.....
#4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
FYI -- The TV tuner cleaner (Radio Shack) seems to have worked. Pulled the knob off the switch, and gave it a shot inside (with a rag surrounding the spray tube and switch -- very high pressure spray!).

But have a new switch on order just in case ... not cheap, unfortunately (~US$30).

-----------
LugNut
2000 RAV4.1 L
Special Edition version
#5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM

(Thread Starter)
It started doing it again a few weeks ago, and I just now finally got around to replacing the switch (not a cheap part ...).

Used the Haynes/Chilton book -- see the heating section first (Ch. 3?) and then dash center console bezel (Ch. 12?) for instructions. Took about two hours.

For my 2000:

Didn't have to remove the glovebox or disconnect the manual HVAC control wires at either end, and was able to replace the switch with the control unit still in the dash. But had its three retaining screws out, and tilted it up and down to get at the switch. It doesn't have any screws, etc. itself, but you do have to pry up, with a small flat screwdriver, a retaining lever from the top side of the control unit while pushing the switch toward the front of the car.

Oh -- the face plate of the HVAC control unit just pops off after pulling out the A/C compressor switch (yes, it just pulls straight out!) and removing the four little lever knobs (they just pull straight off). I had the big dash center console bezel popped off an inch or so, and from behind was able to push the face plate toward me fairly easily. But it is thin, so be careful!

Then lots of wire connectors to get off to get the center console off and out of the way. Good time to clean all the little corners in the bezels. Also, when you're done, don't forget to reprogram the radio after reconnecting the battery (and getting blasted by the alarm system).

-----------
LugNut
2000 RAV4.1 L
Special Edition version
#6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
My 1996 model had similar problems last month. Fan worked intermitently... if I flipped the speed settings switch back and forth. Eventually not even that worked. Slamming the FRESH/RECIRC lever back and forth would eventually kick the fan into gear Of course on the HOTEST day of the year... even that did not work.

I ended up going to the local WRECKING YARD and getting a fan/motor out of a 1998 model for $30.00. 8) Been working great ever since.

(The price was $35... but they gave me $5 off for retrieving the part myself from their junk yard.)

Retired from R4W CLICK HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page