Anybody replace a rear wheel bearing? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
jarvis_06

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Anybody replace a rear wheel bearing?

I've never done one on this car so any tips you have would be great.

Thanks,
Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to RAV497
yea, i need to replace my passenger side rear wheel bearing. i need a tut on it too lol
#3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

I think my front driver's side is starting to grind too. and its getting more noticeable.....

I've helped my dad change one on a different SUV in the past, and........ I'd rather let a shop replace that for me. I dont have the specific tools, or time to do that myself.

If you dont have experience with that, like me, remember the bearings are really tight on the car, and I'd rather let a mechanic make sure the noise is really a bearing and then have HIM replace it.

Kurt

Bored throttle body, Ram Air Intake, 2.5" dia. exhaust, DynoMax muffler, Thrush resonator, 9005 low beams... + more
#4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to RAV497
i had ot replace a front short shaft that was squeeking badly, and fixed the problem, my rav has 176000 miles on it, and havent replaced a single thing accept front brakes, and tires. not too bad heh?
#5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
jarvis_06

Fixed it I hope

Well a new hub assembly (the only way to get it) was ~$200. Not wanting to spend that since this bearing was not shot, just loose and dry, I tighted and lubed it back up.

The bearing has a sheetmetal cap on the inside which I put a grease fitting in. The spindle nut faces to the inside (cap goes over the nut), and I drilled out the punched section and tightened the nut about 1/8", then tacked it to lock it on. This took out the play so I packed the inside of the hub with grease by hand, put the cap on. Pumped grease in with the gun until it came out the other side of the hub and had to clamp it with a c-clamp because the pressure popped it off once. Then took the cap off and cleaned out the excess grease so it wouldn't push out the seal and sling into the brakes. Put the cap on and put in the car. The last picture is from under the car facing out looking at the cap that shows through a hole in the knuckle. We'll see how long it lasts, even if a while it's better than $200 which buys the whole thing you see in the picture. That's the only way you can buy it (dang toyota)

Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

#6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Slynx

Very dangerous to tack a lock nut like that - should have used a new nut, they only cost pence.
I hate to see this type of bodge on any vehicle, especially anything to do with wheels, steering etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page