SO I'am removing the transfercase of my 96 manual - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
EK FLY

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
SO I'am removing the transfercase of my 96 manual

started by removing the pass side axle , lower subframe ,control arms ,swaybars exhaust , , prop shaft most of the stuff around the transfer case , now i'am having a hard time trying to reach the upper bolt that hold the transfer case to the transmission , i allready have the lower ones i just cant seem to reach the ones bellow the intake runners please dont tell me i need to remove the intake

thanks

do i need to drain the transmission oil too when i remove the transfer case

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
No, you should be able to get to the bolt without having to remove anything else.

You dont need to drain the trans out, but usually when you pull the transfer case off, trans fluid is going to start pouring out, so it would be a good idea.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM
EK FLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
No, you should be able to get to the bolt without having to remove anything else.

You dont need to drain the trans out, but usually when you pull the transfer case off, trans fluid is going to start pouring out, so it would be a good idea.

dam but how ? there are 2 nuts more holding that dam transfer case and there are deep in the middle of the block the problem is that i dont have any airtools i use wrenches , ratchets , sockets and a snap on cordless impact gun .
now there is big round looking thing a little bit to the right of the transfer case that is right in between the pw steering pump what the hell is that ?

lol btw how complicated would it be to remove the steering rack ? because thats a little on my way

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Hmm, thats odd. I dont think so, but a friend of mine just told me that the RAV's transfer case might have to come out by pulling the trans and the transfer case as one piece and then separating them, but I really dont think thats the case. I wish I could see what your talking about, kind of hard to help you come up with a solution without being able to see the bolts or having access to TIS at home

The steering rack is somewhat easy to remove, but its messy, and I'd HIGHLY recommend getting an alignment done afterward (not required, but always recommended).
-Tie the steering wheel into the straight ahead position so it cant move.
-Remove the 12mm lock bolt on the steering shaft where it connects to the rack and slide the shaft up and off of the shaft sticking out of the steering rack (may need a pry bar to persuade it off of there).
-Using a flair nut wrench, open ended wrench, crow's foot, whatever, remove the 2 hard power steering lines from the rack (this is going to drain ALL the fluid out of the p/s reservoir, so be ready to catch it as it drains.)
-Remove the cotter pin on both ends of the tierods at both wheels, remove the tierod nuts.
-Use either a tie rod press (10$ at most auto parts stores) or CAREFULLY use a hammer to knock the tierods out of the hubs.
-Remove the 2 bolts/nuts holding the rack to the RAV, then guide the rack out of the passenger side wheel well opening.
-you MAY need to remove the sway bar to pull it out... cant remember, its been so long since I did mine.

As I said, its easy stuff to do, theres just a LOT of steps and head-scratching involved. hope that helps some
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 PM

I feel your pain, I really do!
I replaced my steering rack, took all day, and I had to leave the hoses attached, I could not get them off the rack.

I would not want to do that job again, although without all the rusted up parts it would likely be much easier the 2nd time round...

The big black thing by the ps pump is the center diff lock setup i think, its vacuum operated...

Brett
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM

It looks like you should be able to remove the transfer assembly (case) with it still on the Rav. There is 3 bolts and 5 nuts holding it onto the transaxle case if you can see them and get a wench or ratchet with long extension and u joint on them your good, it looks like one of the nuts could be trouble though. The shop manual doesn't say if it can be done on the vehicle, it looks like they want you to pull the whole transaxle assembley first and then split it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Damn, I knew I forgot to do something while I was at work today

It would not surprise me one bit to hear that the transaxle is supposed to come out to get the transfer case out. Thats what actuall has to be done on the GT-4 celica's.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 AM
EK FLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Damn, I knew I forgot to do something while I was at work today

It would not surprise me one bit to hear that the transaxle is supposed to come out to get the transfer case out. Thats what actuall has to be done on the GT-4 celica's.
NOPE today i pull the transfer case out . it was a bitch to get to the top bolts and nuts ,there are 3 of them . what I had to do to get it out of the way was just to remove the collar fork , rod in order to have clearance because there a long shaft that goes from the tranny deep inside the transfer case

now what broke was the fork that moves the collar inside the transfercase that was making grinding noise and scrape the entire case i will show pics latter on

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
EK FLY

anyone know what type of oil does the tranfercase and transmission take and how much

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM

75w 90 is needed. I bought 8L to change it all( transmission, trans case, diffs) but haven't done it yet. I think after I will have a 0.5L left, but I lost the paper with the capacities written down sorry.

How did you make out seeing the last post was on the June 3rd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page