Noisy rear end over bumps on your 4WD RAV? A summary... - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Noisy rear end over bumps on your 4WD RAV? A summary...

I've been addressing the clunking noise coming from the rear. Search the forums and you'll find that there seem to be many differing suggestions as to the cause.

1. The rear mount of the rear diff. If this is a problem, it might clunk and bang on acceleration. The key here is that I'll will still do this on a smooth surface as you apply and remove torque shifting gears. If you just cruising over rough road and getting a lot of rear noise, this isn't likely the cause.

2. Loose junk in the rear storage compartments. The upper shock mount transfers jarring road bumps directly up to the area just below the compartments. Store the jack under the front passenger seat where it belongs. Wrap any remaining items such as the tire wrench and tools in a towel. You'll appreciate having a rag to wipe your hands on if you need these tools anyway.

3. The castelated nut in the center of each rear wheel are loose. Over time, pounding causes these to lose their clamping force. Could be fretting or surfaces "wearing in" after the RAV is put into service, whatever... they need to be re-torqued to 169ft lbs to eliminate vertical movement. This is not a tough fix. Simply apply the e-brake, pop the center ornaments, remove the cotter pin, loosen the nut (30mm socket), retorque to spec, install cotter pin (preferably new), install ornament. A common problem, a simple fix.

4. Worn shocks. If they show signs of leaking or are 6-7 years old, it's probably time. Easy to replace. Plastic access holes in the rear compartment for the upper mounts and easy to get at underneath for the bottom mounts. Just remember that it's the small bolts on the inside of the lower shock mounts that you remove. When you tighten the upper mounts, you'll be squashing the rubber. Snug but not overdone to the point where the rubber is as large as the washers. A relatively easy job.

5. Spare tire loose. Make sure the large nuts are snug. You can easily check by trying to wiggle the tire. Not usually the problem. The mount to the door is pretty robust.

6. The rear door has too much movement. Common problem. On the door frame is an open metal bracket. It is tapered on the top and bottom. You'll notice on the door, the corresponding piece that fits into this frame bracket. Toyota call this a "stop, door edge, inner" and the fit of the two pieces need to be a snug fit. The piece on the door has rubber blocks that wear out which allows the door to flop up and down over bumps, especially with the weight of the spare tire providing momentum. I would replace this "stop", along with the upper and lower cushion buttons on the door. Even if they appear OK, they have likely compressed over time. I would also clean and apply a silicone compound (or spray) to the door seal.

One other tip for the rear door; check out the striker pin. This is the "U" - shaped bracket on the door frame above the "stop, door edge, outer". If you see any wear into the steel cause by the jaws of the door latch, you can un-bolt this striker pin and reverse it 180 degrees given you a new surface for the latch to grab.

2000 RAV4 AWD 4-DR 155,000km
The Following User Says Thank You to RaymondT For This Useful Post:
pursuit (02-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 AM

RaymonT:

#3 - aren't the drums of the brakes on the inside of the wheel? Are you taking about removing the drum first? (haven't gotten around to doing my rear brakes yet, so I maybe just smoking the pipe here)

If you need to contact me, please email:
cb1000rider@yahoo.com
PM may not work!
Differential Mount Replacements for First Generation Rav4s:
http://www.dmgreentech.com/
#3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 AM

Answer my own question: Looks like the drum doesn't cover the center axle nut... Easy easy..

If you need to contact me, please email:
cb1000rider@yahoo.com
PM may not work!
Differential Mount Replacements for First Generation Rav4s:
http://www.dmgreentech.com/
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 AM

(Thread Starter)
I'm sure the noisy clunking worked to my advantage. It was probably one of the key factors in convincing the PO that it was time for a new vehicle. It's sure nice and quiet now.
Sucka...

2000 RAV4 AWD 4-DR 155,000km
#5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Hi! Thank you for this information! I'm suffering from this kind of noise, I think on possible cause no. 6... However I'm unsure what is the part (bracket, rubber or other) that needs to be replaced...? Can somebody please kindly post a picture of this (the one I need is the rear LH side door), showing which parts shoul I check/replace?
Thanks a lot!

- W
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

RaymondT Thanks for the good info!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Nijo Send a message via Yahoo to Nijo
Hi Raymond, I think my problem is no. 1, I have a 1997 4DR with a 3S-GE G edition engine, I have the clang n bang sound whenever I change gears abruptly, i changed the rear diff mount but this did not solve the problem, the part I got i understand is for a 3S-FE, it has some space behind yet the original 1 had no space, might there be another mount for the rear Diff which i also should have changed?

Jean Snipes
#8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM

I had exactly the same issue. I changed the rear diff mount. It was better, but still not fixed...

Well, I got my butt under there and had a look at what was going on. What you'll notice is that the diff pivots on the front mount. When the rear goes, it makes quick work of the bushings in the front mount.... Have a look:

You Tube Video

If I was doing a high performance application like yours, I'd fill that front mount with urethane. Regardless, it's critical that you replace both - as replacing the rear won't solve the problem. Replacing the front without the rear just means that you'll end up with another torn up front mount in a few hundred or thousand miles.

Heck, I even tried filling the front mount (using an old mount that was already dead) and that didn't get it done:

I eventually went to new bushings that then get urethane filled..

I sell both the front and rear mounts, about 55-60% of what they cost from your dealer... Send me a note if you're interested: cb1000rider@yahoo.com

Last edited by cb1000rider; 03-15-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page