Fuel pump works but no power, efi fuse is ok - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel pump works but no power, efi fuse is ok

Hi, our 1998 Rav4 has 275,00 miles and the other day it broke down. Gee, I wonder why lol? Anyway, the engine turns and turns, but won't fire up.

My dad and I found out the fuel pump runs and has resistance, but we have no power going to it. We found the efi - electronic fuel injection - fuse under the hood, and it's good.

According to this online post, there is also a circuit opening relay that controls the fuel pump : http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...will-not-crank

This fuse is also good, if it is in fact the right one.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows if there is another relay or mechanism which controls the fuel system that we might be missing. I was expecting to find a .pdf repair manual for this vehicle, but have found as yet no access to one. We have little reference to any technical info, so thought someone might reference their manual or their genius. Thanks

My wife's rav4 has 275,000 miles and something happened!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM

There is one fuse and two relays that are in the fuel pump circuit

The fuse is the EFI (I think you already checked it)

The first relay is the EFI relay its under the lower finish panel on drivers side by your knees

The circuit opening relay is behind the finish panel by your left foot/leg on the driver side. good pic of panel in link below. (I guess that the taillight and circuit opening relays can be interchanged to do a quick test, I would double check part #'s on relays before swapping just to make sure you don't let any smoke out)
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...elay&&start=15
#3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks - I am having trouble finding the efi relay though. I found the circuit opening relay and switched it with the taillight but no luck. Is there any way you could describe more where the efi relay is? I took off the panel directly under the sterring column and the steel panel under that, but saw no relays. Thank You

#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
Found a relay which must be the efi relay. It was hidden directly behind the kick panel relays. It is "making up" fine i.e. its circuit closes when powered up to the battery.

THe two fuel pump power leads still do not show any power. We also checked to see if the timing was bad, but the #1 cyliner is at the top position when the engine is at top dead center, so we suppose its not likely the timing belt. Anyway, we're getting some more technical help from a fellow in a few days. My dad thinks its some other sensor that is bad. We'll see. Thanks.

#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:50 PM

I think you where looking at the wrong relay.

The EFI relay is on backside of the fuse block panel by your knee under the lower finish panel. The efi relay is above the integration relay (23 pin relay) closest to the end you should be able to switch the power relay ( for power windows) to test if it is the relay it is the farthest relay away from the efi relay.

When your looking the back side of the fuse panel there are 5 relays it goes like this (I don't know if it is labeled)
Power relay, IG1 relay, ACC relay, EFI relay.
Under neath EFI relay is the Integration relay (23 pin).
#6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Does anybody have a pic of the efi relay because I am having the same problem on my wife's 2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page