DIY Replacement of IAC Valve - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY Replacement of IAC Valve

My 2000 Rav4 has about 99K miles on the clock and I started having the rough idle upon startup issue. It finally got so bad that it wouldn't idle at all. I found the post on the forum about cleaning the IAC with carb cleaner by spraying it down the IAC hole within the throttle body.

I did that, and problem solved! (For about a week). Now, it's rough idling slightly again on startup, so I just ordered a replacement IAC valve from a discount auto parts supplier online.

How hard is this to replace yourself? It *looks* like it's 3 hoses, an electrical connector and 4 screws. The hoses and electrical connector should be straightforward, but the IAC looks like it's mounted on the bottom of the throttle body and may be impossible to unscrew without removing the throttle body which looks significantly more involved, and requires replacement of the throttle body gasket which I would also have to order.

Has anyone replaced or removed their own IAC? If so, any pictures? Can you remove it without completely removing the throttle body and replacing that gasket?

I ordered a new gasket for the IAC, although it wasn't crystal clear that this is required.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM

I made a thread that can help you take off the throttle body "how to clean throttle body..." but the hoses that connect to the throttle body have coolant running through them, you can either pinch it off or drain your coolant in the tubes into a bucket and be prepared to refill later. You might be able to take off the IACV w/o removing the throttle body completely.

I've never taken the IACV off because I believe you need allen wrenches to take them off...not your typical sockets or screws. If you have the right size allen wrenches then you should be fine and it should be easy to take off.

As far as replacing it without removing the throttle body, it would be kind of hard considering the amount of space you work with.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
R4W Moderator

Re: DIY Replacement of IAC Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroost
My 2000 Rav4 has about 99K miles on the clock and I started having the rough idle upon startup issue. It finally got so bad that it wouldn't idle at all. I found the post on the forum about cleaning the IAC with carb cleaner by spraying it down the IAC hole within the throttle body.

I did that, and problem solved! (For about a week). Now, it's rough idling slightly again on startup, so I just ordered a replacement IAC valve from a discount auto parts supplier online.

How hard is this to replace yourself? It *looks* like it's 3 hoses, an electrical connector and 4 screws. The hoses and electrical connector should be straightforward, but the IAC looks like it's mounted on the bottom of the throttle body and may be impossible to unscrew without removing the throttle body which looks significantly more involved, and requires replacement of the throttle body gasket which I would also have to order.

Has anyone replaced or removed their own IAC? If so, any pictures? Can you remove it without completely removing the throttle body and replacing that gasket?

I ordered a new gasket for the IAC, although it wasn't crystal clear that this is required.

Thank you!
Welcome to the forums...

I just recently replaced my IACV due to similar issues... I don't know where you are located , you may want to update your profile with your location...
It was really hot out when I changed mine, and it took several hours...

Besides the IACV, it's good you ordered the gasket as well... And yes, you will need to remove the throttlebody... otherwise you may be there ALL day or more... After removing the intake air hose from the throttlebody to the airbox if you haven't already, you can disconnect the electrical connector to the IACV... you will then have to remove the 4 bolts to the throttlebody, so you will need a new throttlebody gasket as well... I would also recommend ordering two new screws for the IACV... they are philips heads, and you will have to be careful when removing them as one of mine stripped and had to be replaced... luckily I found a screw I could use to replace it...

There are 3 hoses, 2 coolant and one air hose.... If I recall the center one is the air hose, and the others are the coolant.... the coolant hoses are held on by squeeze type clamps, which you will need some really good needlenose pliers or better yet vice-grips.... they were a pain to take off.... you just need to slide them further down the hose, enough to clear the tube portions on the IACV....

Then you can wiggle the hoses far enough before removing them.... Be prepared to lose some coolant, so have a couple of rags in there ready to catch it.... I used two vice-grips to squeeze both hoses so coolant wouldn't drip out... Once you have removed the throttlebody, you will be able to remove and replace the IACV and gasket...

Be prepared to spend at least a few hours, maybe less depending on your mechanical experience/expertise, and also if things go smoothly... Just be patient.... 8)

Hope that helps...

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out...

BTW, after I replaced mine, the starting/idling issues were fixed...
#4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thank you gentlemen, with regard to location, the Rav4 is on Martha's Vineyard. It was rock solid for the first several years I owned it, then everything seemed to fall apart at once. In the last 5K miles I've had to replace the clutch, brakes, EGR valve, and now the IAC valve. In addition, the air conditioning compressor seized, such that the engine had a hard time running with the defroster on during the winter. Took a long time to correlate the defroster with the rough running, but once it was figured out it was easy to see what the problem was, the engine belt could hardly turn the compressor pulley, I could actually smell the belt burning. I took it to a mechanic who suggested the best course of action was just to unplug the electrical connector on the compressor so that the clutch won't engage. No A/C now but that's ok.

The illustration of removing the throttle body was great, although definitely more involved than I was counting on, I did order a new throttle body gasket as well based on that post. Definitely love the car and the manual is great, but it's working me over lately!
#5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Re: DIY Replacement of IAC Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sueno
I just recently replaced my IACV
I need to replace mine. Cleaning it no longer fixes the idle.
Did you order everything from the dealer, or is there someplace less expensive?

'96, 4 dr, AWD, auto tranny, green, OME lift kit, '98-'00 headlights, taillights & cupholders (), insulation upgrade, clear front markers, sunroof, tint
#6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the RAV4 World as this is my first post. I am trying to help fix the girlfriend's RAV4 because it obviously is dying out as soon as it starts. I know there's a topic dedicated to this issue but the pictures don't work anymore. I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to post some pictures of where the throttle body and IAC are. Thanks!
#7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I think you need this picture (see below).
Notice that the throttle body itself is VERY expensive.
Greetz

Pim

#8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 AM

So the big chunk on the left picture is the throttle body and what im suppose to clean is the iac connects that hole? Which is the iac?
#9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Idle speed control, or idle air control, is the part UNDER the big part of the throttle body. partnumber 22270 is beside it.
It regulates the combustion and fuel injected. If it's dirty (and it can become quite dirty) it can bring up the revs to compensate for bad readings. Or it can make the revs drop during idle so the engine dies.
Combined with a steel wire directly to your gas pedal the throttle body regulates the revs and fuel injected.

This part (the throttle body) in total costs over 1000 euro.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM

How do I clean the IAC without removing the throttle body? It seems that too many wires and hoses have to be taken off to get to the IAC, which I don't wanna risk messing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page