Fuel Filler Door / Lever not working - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Filler Door / Lever not working

After waiting in line for gas at COSTCO on NYE eve, I pressed the lever, and voila, nada. Nothing happened. The door didn't pop open as it has faithfully done every time in the past. After asking several people for help, all of whom were of no help, no one else offered help (mostly because they were occupied honking their horns instead), about twenty minutes later, and countless tries, one of the "attendants" (for lack of better term since they don't seem to attend to much other than resupplying paper for receipts) managed to somehow open it. I asked him what he did, and he walked away without telling me anything, so I have no clue if this is a lever problem or a spring problem with the door itself. I really don't want to have a repeat of this problem, but I'm also not looking forward to paying Toyota another outrageous amount of money for something avoidable. How do I determine if it's the door creating the problem or the lever?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It then is likely the wire from the lid to open the lock and the lock itself have somehow disconnected.
If it does, you will very easily be able to pull the lid up and down, while usually it requires a little bit of force.

You might want to look at what Toyota calls the 'Feul filler opening lid lock' and see if it somehow has come off. Most likely it has (could have broken a little chip off so that it wouldn't hold it anymore).
That specific part is the retainer and costs 5 euro (6.70 US dollar) to replace, partnumber 77377-20050 as OEM
partnumber 77360-22020 as OEM is the spring, costing you 2.15 euro (2,90 dollar)
It also could be the lid near your driver's seat is broken, but i am afraid i couldn't find the proper partnumber for that.
Also the wire which connects the lid to the lock could have broken. No part number found for that too.
Greetz

Pim
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
more info

Pim,
Thank you for replying.
I tried to see if I could open it again, trying a variety of items to hold the lever up so I could see if I could open the fuel filler door. After trying a number of similar sized objects eventually I tried a prescription vial that was the right size to hold it high enough for me to then flip open the door. I can't see anything wrong with the mechanism of the door itself, but I've never paid much attention to what a normal working one looks like. I've read people talking about broken off springs, and I'm not sure where this spring is supposed to be or how big it is supposed to be (or if that's the part # you're referring to). The part that pushes out to lock / pulls back to unlock is functioning when I can open the door, but there is not a spring on that part, or on the latch part that it engages with that is on the door itself.
Would you or someone else please tell me what this part 77377-20050 does so I can see if that's what is missing?

Thanks again.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
There should be a spring to open the door. Most likely it is missing then. Could have broken off.
Here is a technical specification of the fuel filler door and surrounding area.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Heres a pic.....the spring is more a bent bit of sprung metal rather than a coil spring....

1998 Rav4 Freesport AWD 3 door
2004 MR2 Roadster 1.8 vvti (Spyder) 28000miles
2003 Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 "Zetec S"
1995 Ford Probe 16v
#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

I love when people post helpful pics.
That is one of many things that make this site so good!
Thank you all.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all. Brim, that pic was most helpful, that is exactly what's missing, but I never would have even looked for anything like that without the pic. That part # is 77366, correct? Any recommendations on what to use to attach it? Can it be attached with the door still on, or does that need to be removed?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Looking at it the spring seems to slot on to the frame of the door on one side and clip on to the hinge pin on the other...looks easy enough.

I think it would be a good idea for everyone to rub a drop of grease on this spring to stop it rusting and breaking....i did mine when i bought the RAV.

1998 Rav4 Freesport AWD 3 door
2004 MR2 Roadster 1.8 vvti (Spyder) 28000miles
2003 Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 "Zetec S"
1995 Ford Probe 16v
#9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
With the partnumber 77366-22020 you will get the right spring. Partnumber 77366 will get you quite an array of choice for different springs for different models.
I have no clue whether or not this is sold seperately. Perhaps you will have to buy it with the fuel filler door attached to it or as an entire assambly. Find that out at your local dealership.
Greetz

Pim
#10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 PM

You guys are AMAZING! Thanks for the GREAT photo!

1998 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD Venetian Red Pearl w/Tail Light Guards by Manik, roof rack, roof luggage rack, two original cargo "saddle" bags on rear door, 3-tone custom-made leather steering wheel cover by WheelSkins, Michelin floor mats, tan sheepskin seat covers, Number 13 (orange stripe) cue-ball stick shift knob, alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard by BLACK HORSE. Tan suede door panel inserts (front doors) and matching suede center console lid cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page