front driver side wheel bearing going out... three times in a row! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
front driver side wheel bearing going out... three times in a row!

Hi! I'm new to this site and forums in general but I have been having some problems with my Rav so thought I might give it a shot...

My wheel bearing on my front driver's side keeps going out. We have replaced it three times now. Saw somewhere online that we should use a Toyota bearing instead of after market bearings (from AutoZone) so got that for a lot more money. Now when we put it on there is a lot of play, more than comfortable with.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
Rotor grinding caliper, bad wheel bearing?

I read this guy's thread already and everything just about matches my problems exactly! I'm just trying now to make sure that this expensive bearing doesn't go bad now just because of something dumb I'm overlooking (that may have happened during replacement or damage of other bearings)? Why would there be extra play in there? I don't think there should be any play at all.

Any suggestions/advise would help!
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
First of all TinyRav97, welcome to the forum. Thier is NO substitute for Toyota OEM parts. Use Toyota parts and things like this won't happen, ouch ($). Toyota OEM parts are slightly more expensive, but once you install the sub-part, once, twice and then again a third time. If you would of bought Toyota part in the first place, well, I guess you know what I mean. Yes, you can use sub-parts, but not in key places. But like in Brake pads (Sub pads are noisy) Electrical, Suspension parts, No, go OEM here. A fender might be more forgiving as a sub-part. You get the picture.

One day I turned on my RAV4 in the morning and the started just kept on going despite the engine was on. Solution, a NEW Toyota Starter, pricey, **** yeah, $290.00 plus installation at my local Toyota dealer, no core. At a sub-part, you might have to give yours in, plus a hefty price. A short cut would be to rebuild it or go to a salvage yard. Not exactly. The advantage of Toyota OEM parts, you invest ONCE, end of problem.

Last edited by mensajero; 03-21-2011 at 12:48 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 AM

You may have a bad bearing hub which is out of round. That will cause ANY bearing to fail. Have your mechanic measure it carefully and compare to Toyotas tolerances.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Bearings failing regularly are a sign that the hub needs to be replaced. Someone else has had that same problem on a high miler.

The hubs take a huge amount of pounding over the miles and years, so it does become a matter of time before they need to be replaced. The hubs should be checked if the bearing housing is within Toyota's specifications as arries289 said.

Hubs can be bought secondhand if you want. Problem here in the UK though, is scrap yards keep crushing complete cars, so I'm trying to get a load of parts for future use before they are all crushed......what a waste.

New cars are uneconomic to buy.
There is no such thing as uneconomic to repair, but it could become too dangerous to repair.

Last edited by Raving Man; 03-21-2011 at 07:36 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
The first part you should of change was the Hub.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM

Hi, TinyRav97,
I happened to see a similar posting on the Popular Mechanics website. About halfway thru, it talks about someone who was having to replace his wheel bearings all the time (more often than you!). The moderator suggests he check his engine-mount ground, in case he had arc-ing thru the bearings...
I don't know if it applies in your case, but might be worth taking a look.
Using Ether To Start An Engine, How To Repair Car Defroster, Wheel Bearings Keep Wearing Out, How To Replace A Convertible Top, How To Make High Beams and Low Beams Both Stay On: Mike Allen's Weekly Auto Clinic - Popular Mechanics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page