First gear - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
anyone up to speed still wont be able to shift into first untill youre going at the most 15 was what I was saying and its true....You can be going 50 mph and get into every other gear except for reverse and first....for good reasons too.And I say downshifting at 15 mph is bad because its much more easy on the motor and trans to wait until 10 mph to shift or use youre breaks....I guess thats up to the person driving on weather they would like to put wear and tear on there motor and tranny,or there breaks!!!!Also to the op,Youre tranny probly can go into first at 10 to 15 if you use muscle but use youre best judgement on when its needed!!!

2000 Rav-4 L awd auto 90,000 miles
Recent yotas
1994 celica 2.2 black 5 speed
1997 4x4 4runner white 2.7L 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
IF you are replacing synchro's, you almost certainly need to replace a lot more. Getting one synchro replaced requires very good technical skills and a lot of patience, as well as the right tools.
Are you sure that the fluid inside the transmission is at it's ideal level (right below the filler plug when the car is on flat and horizontal surface) and there isn't another reason the transmission is not getting the desired shifting result (like for instance cheap or dirty fluid, excessive wear, rust, and so on)
Greetz

Pim
Hi Pim,

Thanks for the info i just got a tranny oil change for 4liters after (came from Shell ) changing the engine. I got this issue before the swap up until now (i should have inspected my tranny while still open). I need to have a full stop just to make it on the first gear specially when on an up hill road with traffic. I need to have a full stop. Sometimes its hard to put it on the first gear you would need to find the right spot to get in to work. I'm no mechanic

Thanks guys i always love to subscribe on threads like this. Make me learn more new things.
#23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodagzph View Post
Hi Pim,

Thanks for the info i just got a tranny oil change for 4liters after (came from Shell ) changing the engine. I got this issue before the swap up until now (i should have inspected my tranny while still open). I need to have a full stop just to make it on the first gear specially when on an up hill road with traffic. I need to have a full stop. Sometimes its hard to put it on the first gear you would need to find the right spot to get in to work. I'm no mechanic

Thanks guys i always love to subscribe on threads like this. Make me learn more new things.
It's quite possible that your clutch just needs adjusting, it's also possible that the bushings on the gear shifter itself are worn. Lastly, it's possible that your clutch slave and/or master cylinder needs to be bleed and/or have the fluid changed. All of the above are relatively easy fixes.

NP
The Following User Says Thank You to Nonprophet For This Useful Post:
neodagzph (07-01-2012)
#24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Neo,

I am not sure whether you drive a manual or an automatic, but the manual needs 5 liters when empty, the automatic 7 liters.
While the manual needs 75W90 fluid, the automatic needs fluid type T (which is different).
So it still is possible your transmission was dealing with low level fluid and still is, and also possible you used the wrong fluid. Also possible there has been dirt build up inside the transmission which came loose with the change of fluid. It is recommended to flush the transmission for that purpose. But that requires around 10 liters. A pretty expensive way but in the end a lot less expensive then replacing the entire transmission.

Also what NP says is smart to check too. If you don't know how to do that, feel free to ask.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
neodagzph (07-01-2012)
#25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Thank you guys its a manual tranny and Thanks for the TS for opening up this thread. Will check all of the above suggestion before changing my synchros.

BTW whats the part number for the bushings on the gear shifter and anything else needs to be replaced while the mechanic is on it? Is this an easy fix?

Thanks again.
#26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM

I have a 98 rav4 as well and experience the same kind of problem of downshifting to first gear. The shifter will not go into first and it feels rubbery, like you are stretching the shift cable. I have had the linkages checked and all appear to be in good working order. I'll check the clutch adjustment as it may be a tad too light and may just need a bit of tweaking on the adjustment side. I say this because the vehicle has a tendency to shudder when half clutching on an incline. I've been driving manual transmissions for nearly 40 years so I'm pretty sure my proficiency with the clutch manipulation is not the main culprit. I'll also check the gear oil level to see if it is adequately full. As far as I recall engaging first on a downshift has always been a bit difficult with this particular car. If I go to neutral first and double clutch, it will usually go into gear as long as I am moving at about 10-15 kph (10 mph). Many of you in the US will wonder why we may even need to downshift into first gear in the first place but that would also be due to the fact that you guys never get to experience the kind of stop and go traffic we regularly have in Manila (which is why I can relate to the OP, who is also from here.) It would make your typical L.A. gridlock look like a walk in the park. I'm surprised that road rage isn't a regular occurrence over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page