POWER WINDOW WORKING AGAIN!
Just to close out this thread, I want to update everyone what I learned and what I did to fix my driver-side window motor in my 2000 RAV4...
I first made the assumption that I needed a new motor and possibly the rest of the regulator assembly. I didn't know how it all worked until I looked more closely at the photos of the part. Clearly now I see my RAV4 has a cable-style regulator and not the gear-type that you see in many cars.
I found an old 1998 RAV4 on our nearby Pick-N-Pull lot, but when I got there, the front, driver-side assembly had already be pulled. Doh! But the left, rear assembly was still intact, so I thought I'd at least take that for what it was worth. It was a gear-style assembly, but the motor looked the same. The guy only charged me $8 because I think he felt sorry that the part I wanted was already gone.
I got home and the only thing I was able to do was swap out the motor's brush/spindle. They looked identical. I recall another thread here where someone replaced the brushes to fix his motor. But my window still exhibited the same problem after the swap -- just a small little click/knock sound out of the motor, and that's it. At that point, I was faced with the fact that I just needed a whole new regulator assembly and motor. This project was taking a lot of time and becoming a burden on me. I didn't want to fuss with trying to find used parts all over the country and hoping things worked by just swapping parts in and out, not really knowing what was wrong.
I checked on eBay. Lots of RAV4 assemblies, but really no front, driver-side assemblies for my 2000 RAV4. I found a couple that said they were for a 2000 RAV4, but they noted they were 2-wire models. Mine is 5-wire. This just made matters more confusing, and I just didn't feel confident in what I was finding. AutoZone and O'Reilly had assemblies but also no front, driver-side ones. It was a seemingly elusive little part for my year and model.
So I finally just called Toyota, and the parts guy quoted me $653 for part # 69820-42100. Well when I googled that part number, a lot of things came up. I even found a few on eBay after all when I did a search by part number. The price range was $298 to about $330, and they all claimed they were genuine Toyota parts. I ended up buying directly from FCP Import. They looked like a reputable site, and $298 seemed like a good deal at this point, short of combing the entire country for a used part. The part arrived, and looked perfect, genuine, and new.
So back at my car, I had to still get the old assembly out of the door. The window was stuck in the up position, and I couldn't get access to the screws that fastened the regulator to the window. I had to disassemble the cable spool from inside the motor to release the hold on the cable. It was when I got to the spool that I found the problem. The cable had frayed, and there was a jam of little wires all around the spool. I thought that I might be able to get the wire all out, trim off the frays and then just re-use my old part. I did that, and after struggling for an hour trying to rewrap the wire on the spool, I gave it a test. The motor was moving the regulator! But after a few up and down tests, more fraying of the wire occurred and I could hear it jamming up again. At that point, I said forget it. I just was going to use the new part and stop being cheap by pushing a questionable part to its limit.
So I put the new part in -- a perfect fit! Works like new. Fast and smooth. Total cost $300. Toyota wanted $750+ for parts and labor. Lots of lessons learned, and now I'm ready to take on another broken window motor with ease! Thanks everyone for their responses!