Replacing 2000 RAV4 Driver-side Power Window Motor - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing 2000 RAV4 Driver-side Power Window Motor

Hi, I am attempting to replace the driver-side power window motor on my 2000 RAV4. The dealer wants $750 to do this, so clearly I want to take a stab at it myself! I've got the door apart and have even unbolted the motor, but the window is stuck in the full up position, so I can't get to the bar that attaches to the window. How do I lower the window? Secondly, I noticed this window motor has cables instead of a gear mechanism like other vehicles. How does this work? Can I remove the cables to replace the motor, or do I need to purchase a full assembly? I've attached some photos of my work so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2953.jpg (106.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2961.jpg (95.5 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,201 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Have you verified that the motor is bad and not the switch? Try this first:

POWER WINDOW MOTOR TEST
Driver's Window Motor (Land Cruiser & RAV4)
Using a 12-volt battery, connect positive battery lead to power window motor terminal No. 1. See Fig. 5 .
Connect negative battery lead to power window motor connector terminal No. 4. Motor should operate. Reverse
battery leads. Motor should operate in opposite direction. If motor does not test as specified, replace motor.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,201 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If the motor does test bad, this is all I could find on replacing it:

POWER WINDOW MOTOR

Removal & Installation

Remove door trim panel and waterproof shield. Remove glass retaining bolts and glass. Remove window
regulator bolts, and remove window regulator/power window motor assembly. Remove power window motor
retaining screws, and remove motor from window regulator. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten
window regulator motor retaining bolts or nuts to 44 INCH lbs. (5 N.m). Apply multipurpose grease to window
regulator rollers.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
ArcticDriver (09-24-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks James. Yeah, I'm 99% sure the motor is dead. It was very weak before it finally died. I know it's getting power from the switch, since you can hear the motor make a weak attempt at moving the window. But not enough power to actually move it.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Take a look at my post from July. Driver's power window motor It has information in it discussing how I did it and also let's you know that you can use a rear driver door motor to replace the drivers front door motor. The rear door window motors have a bunch less use on them and the brushes are usually in really good shape. Odds are pretty strong that your problem is brush wear but there difficult to find. So taking the brushes from a lightly used window is a good solution or the whole motor. The regulators are different for front and rear windows but the motors are the same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddsmith For This Useful Post:
ArcticDriver (09-24-2012), BlueRAV4 (09-06-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks @ddsmith. I did replace the brush (looks like a spindle or a shaft with copper wires meshed all around it) from the rear door motor, and I get the same symptoms. The motor sounds like it wants to move (with a brief jerk sound), but fails to move anything. It makes me think the window is jammed or seized from too much debris or lack of lube. Maybe it's seized inside the motor gear mechanism, or the cables on the regulator. The problem I face now is that I simply can't pull down the window to get to the regulator arm screws that hold onto the window. This may be because of the seizure, or maybe that's by design (security). Somehow I need to pull out the main regulator slide arm, so that I can pull everything out and inspect it. But I'm stuck on how to do that.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

I am ignorant of the setup, but could some spray lube plus rotating whatever-the-motor-moves by hand get things going?

2009 V6 4wd Base
#8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM

I didn't have to take the whole thing apart when I did the motor but the factory service manual makes it look like there are two bolts that attach the window to the mechanism that moves up and down. They are probably a real bitch to get to with the window all the way up but if you follow the bar that goes from the bottom to the top that is mounted with a single nut at the bottom and two nuts at the top. That is where the connector rides that attaches to the window bottom. I would feel around up in there and take a guess on fastener size. An inspection mirror and some light may help you see it. It is probably a feel only when you actually try and remove the bolts. You may have a cable issue in the regulator.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM

(Thread Starter)
POWER WINDOW WORKING AGAIN!
Just to close out this thread, I want to update everyone what I learned and what I did to fix my driver-side window motor in my 2000 RAV4...
I first made the assumption that I needed a new motor and possibly the rest of the regulator assembly. I didn't know how it all worked until I looked more closely at the photos of the part. Clearly now I see my RAV4 has a cable-style regulator and not the gear-type that you see in many cars.
I found an old 1998 RAV4 on our nearby Pick-N-Pull lot, but when I got there, the front, driver-side assembly had already be pulled. Doh! But the left, rear assembly was still intact, so I thought I'd at least take that for what it was worth. It was a gear-style assembly, but the motor looked the same. The guy only charged me $8 because I think he felt sorry that the part I wanted was already gone.
I got home and the only thing I was able to do was swap out the motor's brush/spindle. They looked identical. I recall another thread here where someone replaced the brushes to fix his motor. But my window still exhibited the same problem after the swap -- just a small little click/knock sound out of the motor, and that's it. At that point, I was faced with the fact that I just needed a whole new regulator assembly and motor. This project was taking a lot of time and becoming a burden on me. I didn't want to fuss with trying to find used parts all over the country and hoping things worked by just swapping parts in and out, not really knowing what was wrong.
I checked on eBay. Lots of RAV4 assemblies, but really no front, driver-side assemblies for my 2000 RAV4. I found a couple that said they were for a 2000 RAV4, but they noted they were 2-wire models. Mine is 5-wire. This just made matters more confusing, and I just didn't feel confident in what I was finding. AutoZone and O'Reilly had assemblies but also no front, driver-side ones. It was a seemingly elusive little part for my year and model.
So I finally just called Toyota, and the parts guy quoted me $653 for part # 69820-42100. Well when I googled that part number, a lot of things came up. I even found a few on eBay after all when I did a search by part number. The price range was $298 to about $330, and they all claimed they were genuine Toyota parts. I ended up buying directly from FCP Import. They looked like a reputable site, and $298 seemed like a good deal at this point, short of combing the entire country for a used part. The part arrived, and looked perfect, genuine, and new.
So back at my car, I had to still get the old assembly out of the door. The window was stuck in the up position, and I couldn't get access to the screws that fastened the regulator to the window. I had to disassemble the cable spool from inside the motor to release the hold on the cable. It was when I got to the spool that I found the problem. The cable had frayed, and there was a jam of little wires all around the spool. I thought that I might be able to get the wire all out, trim off the frays and then just re-use my old part. I did that, and after struggling for an hour trying to rewrap the wire on the spool, I gave it a test. The motor was moving the regulator! But after a few up and down tests, more fraying of the wire occurred and I could hear it jamming up again. At that point, I said forget it. I just was going to use the new part and stop being cheap by pushing a questionable part to its limit.
So I put the new part in -- a perfect fit! Works like new. Fast and smooth. Total cost $300. Toyota wanted $750+ for parts and labor. Lots of lessons learned, and now I'm ready to take on another broken window motor with ease! Thanks everyone for their responses!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM

RAV4 Driver side window motor replacemnt

All,

I am having the same issue with my driver side window. My window stopped working on friday, it worked before i went to dinner and stopped working after about an hour and a half later.

The Auto light on the master switch blinks twice, pause and blinks twice again. All other 3 windows works with the master switch, its just the driver side window not working.

I've tried the suggestion above to check the relay and the fuses. I've also tried the suggestion on using the 12v battery to check if the motor moves, unfortunately for me, it does not.

I am not car savvy and was wondering if someone can point me to the right direction with instruction on how to replace the motor. I figure since the car is pretty old now that i give it a try and see if i can replace it myself. I've ordered a new motor and is waiting on its arrival. I didnt want to take anything from my rear window since i will have to replace it later. Please help if you can.

Thank you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to JerryF For This Useful Post:
simondav (01-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page