Wire Connector to the switch on the charcoal canister - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wire Connector to the switch on the charcoal canister

hello guys,
i discovered that one of the two wires of the connector to the charcoal canister was severed. one wire was Black with Red stripe. the other was Red with White stripe. i extracted the two wires from the connector in an attempt to mend them, and i forgot the order. i went to a junkyard (Part Galore) and located the same kind of connector on a toyota car ( didn't see a RAV at the junkyard). i cut the wires at about 3 inches away from the connector and brought the part home and mended the wires. one of wires of the connector from the toyota car matched the color of one the wire on my RAV. But the second wire of the toyota car was White with Red stripe while the color of the second wire of the RAV was Red with White stripe. so i mended the matching colored wires: Black with Red stripe.
I also mended the White with Red stripe of the new connector to the Red with White stripe of the RAV.

My question is can a DTC be set ( check engine light) if you have one severed (or cut) wire, or if the 2 wires were reversed in their connection to the switch on the charcoal canister? If so what would the DTC be ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If the charcoal canister doesn't work properly, your entire Exhaust Gas Recirculation system will fail and your MPG will plummet.

If it gives a CEL, i am not completely sure about, but it might be P0401, EGR flow insufficient. But cost wise it is not a smart thing.
I don't know where you got the part from that you took, but not every Toyota car has the same parts and they are fairly often not inter changeable.

Have you checked:
The complete Solution for EGR system in RAV4 4-Door 4WD(3S-FE)

Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=Pim;944498]If the charcoal canister doesn't work properly, your entire Exhaust Gas Recirculation system will fail and your MPG will plummet.

If it gives a CEL, i am not completely sure about, but it might be P0401, EGR flow insufficient. But cost wise it is not a smart thing.
I don't know where you got the part from that you took, but not every Toyota car has the same parts and they are fairly often not inter changeable.

-----------
pim,

the connector from the toyota car was identical to the Rav connector. when i plugged this connector to my charcoal canister, it made a smooth clicking sound, indicating the connector was secured.

i need the drawing of the wire (2-wire harness) going to the charcoal canister with colors of the 2 wires. i want to make sure each of the 2 wires is connected to where it's supposed to, on the charcoal canister's connector.
on the rav, one wire is Black with Red stripe. the other wire is Red with White stripe.

thank you
#4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I am sure it would help tremendously if i could give you the exact hose color, but i cannot.

The RAV4 in various parts of the world use different coloration schemes, and i am not in possession of any of those.
Please post pictures if you need more detailed information. Otherwise refer to the given schematics and find out where the hoses came from, so you can understand where they need to go.
As far as i know, the charcoal canister does not have power to it, so these hoses are either exhaust gas, fuel vapor lines, or air/ air drain. In the above schematics you can find them all.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page