Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

immobiliser reset? new battery, now wont start

50K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  hd72m 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I have a '95 Rav4, and my wife managed to leave the interior light on overnight and killed the battery - engine turned over slowly followed by that clicking noise. The battery was old anyway, so decided to just buy a new one. I fitted it this morning, and after connecting it there's nothing from the starter at all and the hazard lights are flashing permanently. All lights, wipers etc work fine.

Disconnected it again, then turned the key to the on position, then re-connected the battery. Turned the key the rest of the way, and it spins but wont catch.

All fuses are fine.

Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery would trigger an immobiliser that now needs resetting? Or is there something else i'm missing? :shrug:

The car has always been fine, no issues at all up til now.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Are you sure that the battery is the right one? Right Amp/h, right voltage.
If so, maybe check on the starter. It might have gone up along with the battery.
I am not sure if there is an immobiliser in the RAV4. The dealer might be able to help you out on that.
Greetz

Pim

#3 ·
Hi Pim, thanks for your reply.
It's definitely the right battery. The fact that i can get it to turn over makes me think the starter is OK. I read somewhere that it could be the relay for the EFi, so i've just ordered one (at a cost of £3, it worth a try).

#6 ·
Try pulling the EFI fuse, it's in the black box just in front of your battery, from memory I think there is a diagram inside the lid, and leave it for a minute or so, this resets the ECU.
There is no imobiliser in the key or ignition barrell but if you have an alarm it may include one.
For what it is worth, mine (1998) has a Toyota alarm and I have gone as far as removing the ECU as well as the battery but have not had the problem your having, you may be right with the relay, give it a tap and try again.

#8 ·
Next time if you take a cigarette 12 volt plug that goes into where the lighter goes and wire a 9 volt plug at the other end with a good 9 volt battery you will not have to reset UCU or stereo. A 12 volt supply of some kind will also work.
That is what auto parts stores do around here.

#9 ·
That won't work on our RAV4's since the 12 volt outlets are switched off with the ignition. Unless you want to leave the ignition switch on which will run a 9v battery down pretty fast.

#11 ·
OK, it wasn't a fuse or relay - definitely the immobiliser. Luckily a mate put me in touch with an auto electrician who removed the system for £60 (inc call out). Not too bad overall, but an expensive battery!

Still, a lesson learned and all that.... Hopefully someone will read this and avoid the same mistake. In future i'll always hook up a temporary power supply when changing a battery.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

#12 ·
Thanks Frogdude, always good to hear a solution has been found. I am thinking your immobiliser is different to the later one's either that or it went bad on you as I know several other 98/99 UK Rav owners who have also removed battery and ECU without a hitch. Glad you are ok now anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.