Driver side front window does not seal properly - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driver side front window does not seal properly

Hello there.

I am encountering an issue considering my driver side front window.
(Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with the power feature of the window. Motor and switch perform as expected).

There seems to be a fair amount of "play" as far as the longitudinal movement of the window is concerned.
If you grab the window when half way down, you can fairly easily move it back and forth (NOT up or down).
The problem is that sometimes the window doesn't "seal" perfectly when closed, as it is slightly tilted forwards.
Has anyone experienced this problem, and is there anything I can "tighten" to remedy this?

Since I've already dissasembled the interior panels of the door, I intend to lubricate the internals as well, so as to maximize the life span of the motor.
I've read somewhere in this forum about a product called "white lithium grease".
It is available both as a spray-on product and as traditional paste.
Which of the two forms is preferrable and where exactly should I apply it?
As far as I can make out, there is a cable and a metal bar going up and down. Any other suggestions?

Thanks is advance.

1999, Quicksilver FX, 5dr, 5spd, 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Definitely something which is broken inside which needs to be replaced.
Window should not be able to move sideways nor back and forth, only up and down, unless you press it pretty hard.

I would carefully check the weatherstrips too, since they are fairly important for noise reduction and glass protection. Something tells me those are in bad shape too when you can move the glass like this.

White lithium grease is a normal stick on type of grease, same as WD-40.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Definitely something which is broken inside which needs to be replaced.
Window should not be able to move sideways nor back and forth, only up and down, unless you press it pretty hard.
Nothing is broken. I am not experiencing massive amount of movement, just a slight "play" when pressed by hand.
The reason that sometimes the window doesn't seal perfectly, is the addition of a in-channel wind deflector which came a bit loose.
I am still convinced that if I tighten something in the scissors-like mechanism I will remedy the problem (just don't know exactly what).
For what is worth, the passenger side window, also equipped with the same in-channel deflector, does not exhibit the aforementioned "play".

Quote:
I would carefully check the weatherstrips too, since they are fairly important for noise reduction and glass protection. Something tells me those are in bad shape too when you can move the glass like this.
They are in excellent condition. The car was garaged for the majority of its life and I regularly apply silicon spray lubricant to maintain their flexibility. When sealed, everything is quiet (if you don't take into account engine and road/tire noise due to the non-existent sound insulation ).

Quote:
White lithium grease is a normal stick on type of grease, same as WD-40.
It comes both as a spray-on substance (aerosol like WD-40) and as traditional "greasy" product (paste-like). I suspect the latter whould be more suitable for the job in hand.

So, the question remains, what exactly should I lube after I remove the protective nylon covering?

#4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM

(Thread Starter)
I couldn't find white lithium grease, so I used standard lithium grease on the driver's side and spray-on lithium grease on the passenger's side.

I've timed the windows going up and down before and -surprise, surprise- nothing was gained.

The part that made sense to me to lube is the edges of the vertical regulator arm where the part carrying the window slides:

http://s9.postimage.org/8mgtmnu9b/regulator1.jpg (link for those who can't see the picture)

http://s7.postimage.org/m1mfjcr9l/03122012388.jpg (This is how my door looks like for the past three weeks)

Should I lube anything on the motor assembly?
I would really appreciate any advice as I am going to give up pretty soon and put the damn thing back together...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page