Order of events for our '97 Rav 4dr:
1. Had the same windshield leak problem covered here:
Leaking when it rains
At one point after a heavy rain, the wiring cluster on the lower left side of the dash was wet. When we noticed, we did not use the car until it dried out.
2. About a month later the dome light and cargo light stopped working, no fuses were blown.
3. A month after that, the stereo lost power. The fuse was blown, replacements blow immediately when key is turned on.
4. The open door light indicator stays on about 50% of the time when all doors are closed. When this occurs, keyless entry doesn't work.
5. Over the past weekend, I removed the dash board partially. just to the extent that it is shown here: http://www.autoclockrepair.com/yahoo...al.5751247.pdf
I had been hoping to see a relay I could get at that I could test, but couldn't see far enough to get at the wiring behind the dash, and I didn't want to completely remove it unless I knew the problem was likely there.
Instead, I focused on the wiring at the lower left side of the dash, since that was the part that was wet. The only relay I see there I think is for the ignition.
The ground there looked to be slightly corroded, so I disconnected it and cleaned the contacts up good before reconnecting.
Stuck at this point, and my mechanic will charge a fortune to work on this. Any ideas where the dome / stereo shorting problems might be?
Any help is desperately appreciated,