Spongy manual gear shift and play in cables - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spongy manual gear shift and play in cables

Hi guys. Im totally baffled as to what the problem may be with my Rav4. When I try change into gear it goes into gear but if you push the gearstick a tad further it moves a fair bit. Even once in gear. It is as though the gearbox cable/cables has a spring connected to them. This make the gear changes intermitant and harder to get into gear.
I have taken out the console and if you watch the cables on the console,once in gear and someone pushes the gearstick further than it should go you can see the cables moving,but if you look at the gear shifter on the gearbox this does not move once it is in gear. It is as though the gearshift cables are stretched or something like a spring is attached to the cables. Hope this makes sense.
If anyone has experienced this please post as this has me baffled.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

I waited a while for others to answer because I am not 100% sure but I think the shifter has plastic or rubber bushings to keep gearstick from going to far and when they get wore out or come loose that could allow cables to get streached faster than normal.
A member named PIM has parts views for just about every part on the RAV4 4.1
so take a look at his page.
The Following User Says Thank You to hd72m For This Useful Post:
Mikado (12-21-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM

(Thread Starter)
Ok thanks. I have had another look and I dont see any flex or worn parts. I have removed the centre console to show the cables and there is definately no extra movement around the shifter bushings other than inside the cables. Looking downward over the console I only see the cables stretching. Looking at the linkage on the gearbox I see no movement on the linkages except for the cables which look to be flexing. The very weird thing is I would have though the cables would have snapped and thought there would be no stretch in the cables
#4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

How long have you had it and did it always do this?
" When I try change into gear it goes into gear but if you push the gearstick a tad further it moves a fair bit."
"there is definately no extra movement around the shifter bushings"
This confuses me? How does the shifter move farther than it should if bushings are ok?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
It goes into all gears.Sometimes a little harder to select the gear your after but it does slip into the gear you choose.You can see the shifter/gear stick stop when it does. But there is play after that and the bushes/linkages etc do not move. Only play and slack I can see is the cables that run into the sheath. As I said,its as though the cables are stretched or gone springy.

I will try upload on youtube once I can figure it out.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 AM

I had this happen. If I recall correctly, my mechanic said the rubber around my shifter cables had torn. He replaced the shifter cables with new ones and that fixed it.

Until I got it fixed, making sure to rev match every upshift and downshift helped me to place the transmission into each gear.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 AM

(Thread Starter)
I have finally had the chance to have a good look at the Rav4. It turned out to be the 2 x cables that run from the manual gearstick to the gearbox linkages. Im very surprised that I have not had anyone bar 1 person mention this problem as here in Australia it seems to be the number 1 problem with this model. The plastic sheath gets brittle and cracks which then in turn exposes the cable and frays it and thats when the problem arises. I have attached a pic of the 2 worn cables.
What I do need to find is these 2 parts. Here in Australia the part is very expensive. If anyone can help that would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130107_125714_452 (Large).jpg (570.7 KB, 66 views)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
The plastic sheath gets brittle and cracks which then in turn exposes the cable and frays it and thats when the problem arises. I have attached a pic of the 2 worn cables.
Yes! That is precisely what had happened to my cables. I didn't realize the sheath was plastic. But, my mechanic had to replace those cables. They were very expensive.

Quote:
What I do need to find is these 2 parts. Here in Australia the part is very expensive. If anyone can help that would be appreciated.
They are expensive here also. I think I paid around $200 USD per cable. But there was no other option.

Anyway. Ever since then, I've tried to be very precise with my shifting movements, and never trying to force the stick into gear if there is any resistance. I don't want to have to ever pay that again.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
Here in Australia the shifter side is $460 and the other is $290. That's a serious joke to be asking those prices. Well I have fixed both cables and it works perfectly. I'm away for work and will post a pic of the fix when I get back in a week. Its not to pretty but its done the job and won't fail from that area of cable again.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 AM

Can you please post the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
Here in Australia the shifter side is $460 and the other is $290. That's a serious joke to be asking those prices. Well I have fixed both cables and it works perfectly. I'm away for work and will post a pic of the fix when I get back in a week. Its not to pretty but its done the job and won't fail from that area of cable again.
Hi I am having the very same problem and would like to know how you fixed it , I would do same instead of buying new cables .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page