Headlights only work with high beams on - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headlights only work with high beams on

So the issue is that the headlights do not work at all unless the high beams are turned on. The headlights then come on, bu the high beam indicator on the dash does not light. I thought it was bad bulbs, but they miraculously started working as i was trying to replace them. I then put everything back and closed the hood, and it is back to only high beams working. Any clue as to where to start looking for this one?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Daveo

Its too bad that ignorance isn't painful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
So the issue is that the headlights do not work at all unless the high beams are turned on. The headlights then come on, bu the high beam indicator on the dash does not light. I thought it was bad bulbs, but they miraculously started working as i was trying to replace them. I then put everything back and closed the hood, and it is back to only high beams working. Any clue as to where to start looking for this one?
According to the diagram,power is applied to the center pin of the left bulb with a red/black wire. Power is applied to the center pin of the right bulb with a red/blue wire.

Each headlight has a red/yellow wire, which is grounded to turn on the high beams. Each headlight has a red/green wire which is grounded to turn on the low beams.

The first place I would look is where the two red/green wires are spliced to a third red/green wire on the right side of the radiator. Make sure this connection has not broken or corroded away. Check it with an ohmmeter, it should be grounded when the dimmer switch is in the low beam position, and read 12 volts when the high beams are on.

If it's not grounded apply a temporary ground and your low beams should come on. If that works then continue to follow the circuit and try to locate the break in this circuit.

This circuit continues to a junction box on the left side of the steering column where it goes on to the dimmer switch and the high beam indicator on the dash.

Since the problem cleared momentarily while you were working under the hood, I think that is were you will find the loose connection, rather than inside the vehicle.

Edited: to make description more accurate.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD

Last edited by Rickl; 12-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page