Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How to fix uneven front brake balance?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  metrocube 
#1 ·
Hey, folks. I have a problem with the front brake balance on my 1998 AWD RAV-4 that I don't know how to diagnose.

Can I get some ideas?

My left wheel locks up quicker than my right wheel--I flat-spotted the left tire already trying to figure out if I could even get the right wheel to lock up at all.

It's not noticeable in the dry, but VERY noticeable when it's raining and the streets are wet. My front left tire always skids on a wet street if I apply medium to strong brake pedal pressure.

The rotors and pads are fairly new for a street car.* I replaced them in December 2011 and applied high-temperature anti-seize to all the metal/metal contact points.

Rotors: Wagner BD125517 Disc Brake Rotor : Amazon.com : Automotive
Pads: Hawk Performance HB310Y.689 LTS Brake Pad : Amazon.com : Automotive

* - I have a track car that needs its brake pads changed every three months sometimes. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
First I would drive it 55mph or so for a mile or two and pull over and feel center of wheel to see is left side is dragging.
If not we know something is keep right side from contacting rotor. It could be.
Right rotor not as thick
Right break line clogged some,bleed each side to see if they squirt the same. If right side does not squirt as hard it shows it is plugged some.
Caliper is binding some how.
Rotor has grease or something on it.
Just some ideas.

#3 ·
Try bleeding the right front, you may have air in the system. While you are there have a look at the brake hose, with the engine running so the booster is working, get someone to tread on the pedal and see if the hose is perished and 'ballooning'. Have a good look at the caliper and make sure the seals are not leaking. You will already have noticed if the bleed nipple was leaking. All you can do then is trace the brake lines back to the master cylinder and make sure they are not leaking or crimped somewhere.
If you have to change anything then do both side at the same time.
As a last resort, look at the left front wheel, check that the bottom balljoint is good, also the track rod end and the control arm, if there was excessive movement/play in these then the wheel would snatch when you braked and maybe lock-up.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.