Number 1 cyl - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
relieve gas pressure

Team , I am at the point where I have disassembled everything and are ready to take out injectors. I have gone under the car and cracked the fuel line from the gas tank at the connection under the rear seat drivers side. I found an item with a banjo bolt on the top under the hood in engine compartment which I think is a filter/check valve. Is that accurate ? Is there another place to best relieve gas pressure that still may be in gas delivery pipe? Once I have done that I plan to remove injectors. Is there any thing I can do to test/refurbish the injectors myself? The injector in question has continuity. I tested it with an ohmmeter . I did not get a resistance reading just checked continuity.
I have a copy of the repair manual in transit from ebay so some of these questions will be answered on my own . Any insights anyone has to aid me in my repair will be greatly appreciated. I do appreciate all the help so far and want to say thanx again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM

you have to relieve fuel pressure first!
at the fuel filter. it's probably under air filter compartment.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 rav For This Useful Post:
RavTufts (01-23-2013)
#13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM

fuel injector specification for a 1997 rav4:

3.1 to 4.2 cu. in. per 15 seconds

maximum of 0.3 cu. in. between each injector
#14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM

RavTufts, go under the rear seat, unplug the wiring to the sender/fuel pump, start the engine, let it run out of gas.
Crack the banjo bolt on the fuel filter only if you want to change the fuel filter or if you cannot move the fuel line from the fuel rail, (the fuel filter is almost under the air filter, drivers side, bolted to the inside of the front wing, about 5 inches in diameter), otherwise leave it alone, the presure will have dropped and you can remove the injectors. When I did mine I just left it overnight and the pressure had dropped.
You'll need to crack off the banjo bolt on the end of the fuel rail and keep it held up high to stop the fuel bleeding out. You'll also need new O rings/washers when you refit the banjo bolt, as you will on the fuel filter banjo if you remove that too.
There are rubber O rings on the injectors, from memory there are a couple each on the injectors and one thicker one that goes between the injector and the head, they should all be replaced, certainly if you remove any then replace them with new ones. The thicker ones may be on there last legs anyway.... Rockauto has plenty. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page