Before I start, I have been through just about every idle related thread on all Rav4 Forums I can find. So here it goes :-
Car : 1997 (april) Rav4 (of course), 4 Cylinder, Auto, 4/5 door
Location : Melbourne, Australia
Other Info : -
- Car has no EGR system - not fitted to Australian models (?)
- Throttle body has been removed and cleaned off the car and wasnt too bad anyway
- Car burns zero oil, loses zero coolant (never has)
- Plugs have been changed, old ones were correct colour etc
- Leads have been checked
- Distrubutor cap removed, cleaned, checked, rotor is OK
- There are no vacuum leaks (I have checked all lines, blocked most off to test etc)
- Recently passed an emission test for RWC (MOT)
- Car doesn't have an ODBII, shame as I have a scanner - and the CEL is not on anyways
- Car has no other running issues, gets little pinking noises under load, I read this is normal, I use 95+ fuel and have used cleaner etc
- Normal soot in exhaust, nothing too nasty, no smoke after until issue has occurred, then just a little as it cleans itself out.
Car starts great from cold, no issue, solid idle. Once warmed up get a click frrm the IACV and it stalls the car, won't restart until cold. When I say warmed up, could be 5 minutes into driving, engine temp at normal (just over 1/3rd guage towards 1/2). I am in Melbourne, Australia, its summer so it never gets "cold" as such, most moring temps are 20 deg c / 70 deg f. If anything idle is a little lower than I would expect, especially when cold
Here are my steps I have used for diagnosis so far, except of course for the checks above :-
- So, If I disconnect the IACV once warm, it then runs OK for a while, but then after say 20 mins of driving it splutters from idle, runs OK when not at idle and will stall if not kept running and eventually won't restart until cold.
- If I disconnect the coolant temp sensor, it runs good (except won't cold start of course) - Dont think this proves much ? Just changes everything the ECU thinks about? and of course wouldn't consider running a car like this long term. Disconnecting this also forces the CEL on until reconnected.
Sounds strange but when you think about it, it sounds like the IACV is working the wrong way round
Has anyone any ideas before I take it into a garage and hope they can find it ?
Hope someone can help, this is my daughters learners car and its not a good experience stalling on busy intersections and not being able to restart