rear hub R&R AWD - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdblazer View Post
can you do a little write up on how this is done? maybe some pictures?
I'll try and take pics tomorrow when i get the new bearing installed in my axle hub. I'll do a reverse procedure of putting it all together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

thanks
#13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
Update:

didn't take any pictures as i was running low on time and the wife wanted her car back PRONTO! So, i'll tell you how i assembled it.

First thing i did was take new hub and brake backing plate and reattach with the 4 bolts.

Reattach wheel cylinder.

Place drive axle back into axle hub.....this was a bear to do as it did NOT want to go back in nicely. I greased splines with some caliper grease so it had a little lubrication and then I had to use the axle remover/puller that i had rented and use that to PULL the axle back into the hub assembly.

Once that was in enough, i could reassemble the axle back onto the drive train with the 4 bolts. (remember that i have AWD and your's may be different).

Put axle nut, cover and cotter pin back onto axle. Turned dial to #3 on my INgersol Rand impact gun and ripped it on. So whatever that torque is, that's what it is now. It ain't movin'.

Reassemble brakes. This took me probably 30mins longer than it should have since you originally have to disconnect the emergency brake cable from the lever on the back shoe assembly so you can pull that cable through and get the whole assembly off to get to the press. Unless there is some sort of trick to getting that Emerg cable back on, it took be for sure 20-30 mins to get the cable back into the proper slot on the shoe.

Once that was back on, i had a beer and pet the dog that was patiently waiting for his soup bone.

After the beer, opened the bleeder valve on the wheel cylinder and gravity bleed the sucker for 10-15 mins to get any air out.

Closed bleeder valve and put drum back on........didn't like the way that the brakes were adjusted to the drum so i readjusted it to my liking.

Took it for a spin, had the brakes readjust themself on the drivers side and the grinding bearing noise is ALLLLLL gone. Had another beer for saving myself $300 smackers.

All said and done, it took me about 4 hours to disassemble. Had a garage press out the bearing for $40 cash. Putting it back together took me about just over an hour.

Knowing what i know now, it would take me about 2 hours for R&R. It's not a difficult job, just time consuming. Toughest part was the R&R of the CV axle.

Hope this helps someone out as there really isn't much information AT ALL on this forum about 4wd/awd R&R of rear bearing.

i have to do the other side of the car as that bearing is making noise too. Good thing i bought two bearings. if i have a chance, i'll take some pics next time.

cheers!

PS, i found my ABS sensor is only $105 here in Canada or i can get it for $60 shipped from the US. I originally thought it was going to be $300 but i feel a bit better knowing its not the much cake.....so i had a beer in celebration. Just sayin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page