Adding Drl?

11K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Legion 
#1 ·
is it possible to add Drl on a 06?

#2 ·
Aftermarket, yes.

From factory, no.

#4 ·
It's only a $40 option on the window sticker, so there can't be that much to it. I know there are 3 relays in the circuit.

#5 ·
2011 is just one relay AFAIK, if your 06 has same socket, I guess you could just plug it in :p Although 2011 also comes with a light sensor under the windscreen, if you don't have that, then surely 2011 way is out of the question.

This forum has repair manuals in a sticky thread, should not be hard to figure it out.

#8 ·
I have the light sensor under the windshield. According to the 2007 repair manual there are three DRL relays.

I have a 07 Limited. I do not have DRLs.

Has anybody succeeded in adding DRLs? Is it as simple as putting in the three relays and enjoying the DRLs or is there more to this?

#12 ·
Did you check to make sure the drl relay has 5 pins? It's supposed to be a brown relay.

Sent from my HTC ONE X

#15 ·
The reason I mentioned checking to see if he has the brown 5 pin relay is because before I got my TIS software and cable I disabled my drl's by removing the 5 pin relay and adding a 4 pin relay, then my drl's were off but I still had all my lights working. So if the op only has the 4 pin relay that's why he's not getting any drl action, I can't say for sure but there might also be other components required (I doubt it though).

Sent from my HTC ONE X

#25 ·
Hi

I did some testing

Engine on - headlights switched off
Pin # 3 DRL #3 : 0V
Pin #5 DRL #4: 0V

Turned headlights on and switched the dimmer switch to high beams

Pin # 3 DRL #3 : 14V

I then put both relays back to their slots to once again check that the beams work ok and noticed all four filaments (both highs and both lows) burning at the same time (headlights still switched on and dimmer switch set to high beams).

Is it normal to have all four filaments lit up at the same time - I would have assumed that when the high beams are used low beams are automatically turned off to save power?

#26 ·
Engine on - headlights switched off
Pin # 3 DRL #3 : 0V
That would indicate that DRL #2 is not getting the DRL request from the ECM. To test this, unplug DRL #2. Connect your meter between Pin #2 of the relay socket and the POSITIVE post of your battery. Turn on your High beams and you should see 12 volts. Turn on the low beams only and you should read 0V. Now turn off the headlights and start the engine, you should read 12v. If you don't read 12V move one meter lead from the POSITIVE battery terminal to the NEGATIVE terminal and take another reading.

Turned headlights on and switched the dimmer switch to high beams

Pin # 3 DRL #3 : 14V
That information conflicts with what we already know. Both readings should have been ~12V. Perhaps a poor connection produced the 0V reading. I will have to ponder this.

IIs it normal to have all four filaments lit up at the same time - I would have assumed that when the high beams are used low beams are automatically turned off to save power?
That is normal. That is why I asked you to look into the reflectors to be sure the high beams were working, rather than looking at the beam of light on the garage wall which could have been the low beams alone.

#27 ·
New set of readings

DRL No. #2 Pin #2

Low beams on and high beams off - 0V
Low and high beams on 14V
Low beams and high beams off 0V

----

Looking at p. 137 in the wiring diagrams it appears that my Main Body ECU will always activate HRLY (low beams) when DIM (high beams) is activated. My interpretation of the diagrams is that when HRLY is inactive and DIM active the high beams operate in series (DRL mode).

Thus, it appears that the problem is rooted inside the ECU?

#28 ·
The HEAD relay is operated when a ground is applied by the HRLY lead. This occurs when either the high or low beams are active. When the DRL's should be on, the ground is removed and 12v is applied, which makes the HEAD relay release.

The DIM lead has a ground applied when the high beams are on, or the DRL's should be on. The circuit is open when the low beams are on. This is the signal you were measuring on Pin #2 of DRL #2.

Since you see the voltages changing on pin #2 of DRL #2, we know that there are no broken wires causing the problem.

Thus, it appears that the problem is rooted inside the ECU?
I think you have the answer. Perhaps you should have a second look at turning on the DRL's with the Techstream application. If the DRL's are indeed turned on in the app, all I can think of is that your ECM has a different version of firmware, and that doesn't seem likely, but hey, it's Toyota.

If you really want DRL's you could use a couple of additional relays to apply ground to the DIM lead whenever the ignition was on, and headlights were not on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.