Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

AC/heater fan stopped working.

48K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dandito 
#1 ·
Hello
I have a 1997 rav 4 auto. 2wd, and the fan that blows air into the car has quit working. I have no AC, no heat, no defrost etc. No motor or fan blows.
1. what is this part called?
2. is it expensive/hard to fix?
Thank You.

#2 ·
most parts stores/ online dealers call it a blower motor
most blower motors run $50-110 cdn I'm not sure the exact prices, just call your local parts store they can quote over the phone.

Did the fan stop working on the lower speeds at first then stop completely or did it stop all of a sudden?

Have you checked the all the fuses?

Most electric motors you can give them a lite whack (remember it is mounted in plastic heater box so don't hit to hard), and if the work again then it should be replaced as the bushes/rotor are worn or have a flat spot.
The blower motor is found behind the glove box. to remove it you have to remove the glove box

#4 ·
Hi there fellow Rav4ers I just bought a 2008 V6 from a local (ford) dealer , sounds strange but hey. anyways shortly after getting it home the heater stopped working on settings 1,2 & 3 but works like normal on #4. I took it to the dealer & they said they would get it fixed, 4 days later they called me & said they got it fixed. When I went to pick it up they brought it around & the heater was on #4 so I immediately tested the other #'s & same old problem. I do believe they fixed it (just the symptoms) because since I got it back sometimes it will work & sometimes #4 wont even work. They replaced the resistor & blower motor. Sorry for the long history but I wanted to be thorough. Does it sound like a short, fuse .... Has anyone had this issue? Thanks in Advance :)

#5 ·
From the Heater AC.pdf file repair manual (found here, check for post by Denver1 and follow instructions to his mydrive site)

BLOWER MOTOR DOES NOT OPERATE
Check for blown HTR fuse, heater main relay or blower resistor. Check for faulty A/C controls, blower switch
or blower motor. Check for faulty wiring harness, grounds or connectors.
Could be that your relay is giving faulty readings or the switch at your dashboard is very worn/ broken (doesn't change the speed at number 1,2 and 3 but does work on 4).
Greetz

Pim

#6 ·
I like the connection idea the dealer has replaced the resistor & blower motor, they said it was working then when I got it it wasnt so I think there is a short. Sorry if I posted something that has been answered already. I was wondering if this problem is common?

#8 ·
ํYea I put it here because there isn't a faults & fixes in my year range. I belong to some other forums & they have a topic search which I'm probably missing. There is a lot of topics with numerous pages of posts so I gotta say I'm not gonna read them all unless I get laid up for few months LOL but in the future I'll be more careful. @ PIM I've since got it fixed I appreciate your suggestions, it turned out that Toyota said when replacing the blower moter & resistor one should also replace the switch. I just bought the car so I was having the ford dealer fix it for free & they didn't do it probably trying to cut a corner because I would of checked the switch first :p Thanks Again

#9 ·
I have this problem right now 1997 Rav4...blower stopped working...and, yes, for a while I was able to wack it with a rubber mallet to get it going again...now it has complete stopped...I removed the glove box easy enough but now find that I have to take out the door jam trim to loosen the trim around the glovebox to get the blower out...so, i am at a stand still...also, I don't see a fuse for the HTR...any advise?...and thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.