Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

gas tank leaks

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Badcat 
#1 ·
2001 rav4 has gas tank leak from the upper right front has anyone got this problem appreciate for help.

#2 ·
not yet buddy.

you can actually do a DIY if you want, if the tank full of gas right now and leaking? if so, get a siphon to remove some gas out of it.

How to Repair a Leaking Gas Tank - CarsDirect

OR

go to a garage mechanic and have it fixed

OR

to a shop that will recommend to replace the gas tank. more labour, more money

#3 ·
If the hole or cracks are not very large or heavily rusted try JB Weld Water Weld. This is a putty material that can be used even under water. It bonds well and hardens as strong as steel.
It seals cracks or patches holes. The back of the label said it is good for fuel tanks!

#4 ·
Hi, I know this is an old thread but if you still have your RAV were you able to fix the gas leak? I have a newly discovered gas leak, not sure where exactly it is coming from, but if you were successful repairing the leak could you tell me what was done or whether the entire gas tank had to be replaced. Thanks

#5 ·
I should add that the leak is directly under the middle of the tank but upon viewing the bottom of the tank, there is a streak of leaking gas along the length of the tank so one assumes the leak is in the front of the tank and as I drive the air motion blows it to the rear. The leak is very tiny as there is only a 1 inch spot on the garage floor over a 24 hour period.

#6 ·
I used epoxy putty (J-B weld style) to repair an hole on my fuel tank. It worked for me.

#8 · (Edited)
After removing the tank from my '03 and seeing what is happening on my '04, I have come to the conclusion that these tanks have a susceptibility to rusting-out on the top tapered portion of the outer-most lobes, on the foremost portion of the tank. In the photo below the tank is suspended and filled with water: notice the water saturated area in the rust-spot. After I hit the tank with a hammer and chisel, some distance away, a flake of rust came off, exposing a hole about 2.5mm wide, in the center of that area. (Scraping this area with a chisel did not expose the hole!) I am replacing this tank, but I can see that simply pulling the strap bolts and lowering the tank an inch (i.e., no need to pull anything else) will expose enough of the foremost outer lobes for me to remove the pad and dirt, sand (with 100 or so, grit paper), vacuum, rust-convert (with Naval Jelly), rinse (with water), air dry, and seal (I plan to coat the area with epoxy JB Weld on my '04, being sure to overlap bare metal).
Plant Grass Automotive exterior Tree Automotive tire

My apologies for the necromancy: this post is for posterity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.