Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Installed new head unit, no lights working

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  harrysf 
#1 ·
So, as the title says I just installed a new stereo head unit, and while driving today it was made apparent that neither my tail lights nor my dash lights worked. Did I blow a fuse, since checking the fuses it doesn't look like any fuses are blown. However the tail lights do work when locking/unlocking, so the lights aren't burnt.. I am stumped by this..would it have anything to do with the new head unit?

-Thanks

#2 ·
Did you use a wiring harness?

Did you add a amp ?

Double check all the wiring is connected properly. One or a few wires are not connected properly to the right wire.
Check closely the illumination dimmer wire is correctly wired. Also make sure the dash brightness is on maximum.

If you do not have a power antenna that wire should not be connected.
If you do not have an amp that trigger wire should not be connected. (there is some kind of amp (non JBL) to the factory radio but you should not be using it)

#4 ·
Yeah, I used a wiring harness, and am 99% sure it is hooked up correctly, I think. I haven't even touched the illumination wire, at least I don't think I did. How would that affect the rear tail lights?
Also, I did not add an amp or anything else for that matter. Everything else is completely stock. My Rav came with 4 speakers and the two tweeters, if that makes a difference.

I'll check everything tomorrow, and see how it goes.

-Thanks

#8 ·
I figured out the tail light issue, it was a blown fuse combined with blown lights.

Question to all of you who put in an aftermarket stereo:

Did you connect the ground wire into the harness or to metal? The wiring schematic/example that Pioneer provided said to run the ground wire to bare metal if the harness does not have a black (ground) cable. Mine has a black cable, and I double checked and every component matches...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.